Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my YZF polished the bike's STEEL frame. Back when i bought the bike, it looked great, but the first time it rained i realized the problem with polishing a steel frame that i somehow didn't think of when i bought the bike.

Is there any sealant/coating that can be applied to polished steel to prevent rusting? Am i doomed to sanding and scrubbing for the rest of the time that i spend with my YZF?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes, there is this great coating called "paint". Seriously though, you have a number of choices. Not sure what kind of clear varnish would be best, or you could have it powder coated or painted. I don't know if it is possable to anodize steel.
On a less helpful note:
If you are very, very rich, you could have a Titanium Nitride coating put on....or make a real Rat Bike out of it and have it galvanized.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i guess i neglected to mention that i didn't want to coat it with that "paint" stuff! i was thinking more along the lines of taking everything off, giving it one last really good sand/polish job, and then applying some sort of clearcoat. if anyone has gotten good results doing the same, then speak up. remember this is a STEEL frame...you know, the kind that you shouldn't ever polish to start with!

·
eChuckB
7,122 Posts
I spent some time thinking about this one, why is a question I can't answer. Anyway, I have used various cleacoat products over the years and the all seem to yellow when used alone. The best product for what you are doing is the stuff they coat factory wheels with. It will yellow eventually but it takes longer. A powder coating shop can probably handle that for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know you would like to keep the polished look, but if you're gonna go through all the trouble of taking everything apart, you should take the entire frame out. Maybe pick a color you think would go with the bike and have it powder coated that instead of clear. A gloss powder coat looks real good after it's done, and it's very durable. OR you could have it chromed. The clear will look ok at first but will give you more trouble down the road. Steel just wasnt meant to be polished unless it was stainless. OR you could buy an aluminum frame...I think that covers all your options.

Fil
98 Honda VTR1000
SuperHawk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chrome it, If your ripping it down anyway...You can acid etch and put steel aladine on it, but that [censored] is pretty toxic. I use it on steel aircraft parts to beat the salt air down here in Florida

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm just not sure that my fairly meager college budget will allow for powdercoating or plating...at least not now. i was looking for a fix that i could do myself, if there is such a thing. as soon as i get out of school and start making that $$$, i'll prob just sell the yzf and get a real killer bike anyway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the cheapest way is to just spray paint it.
but for anything to be done right, you would have to pull the frame, which means taking the engine out.
Or just keep polishing it for now and pass it on to the next sucker...just kidding.

Fil
98 Honda VTR1000
SuperHawk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts