Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting on a local track and I was wondering if anyone had any links to track etiquette. I just want to make sure I stay out of the way of the real racers on the test and tune day. And maybe get some saftey info besides gear.

Thanks for any help/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Just be friendly. In my xperiences most of us are there for the same reason-to have a damn good time and xplore the limits of your bike away from any real hazards. Yeah there are always some posers with the Brembos and the Ohlins and the chrome etc. But they are either really good or really not so good! Always remember that the person behind u is responsible for u so u should never have to turn around and see who u r in the way of. The speed will come. Just have a good time cause its the best time youll have on two wheels. Cept when youre racin.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Always remember that the person behind u is responsible for u so u should never have to turn around and see who u r in the way of

<hr></blockquote>

Is there a certain line to follow? like stay in the middle so faster bikes have an option to pass on the inside or outside? Or just keep a line and they will find the way around?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There is usually some concept of "a racing line". Don't worry about the guy behind you, but the guy ahead of you. If you are consistent in your lines and don't change them mid-corner, faster people will have no trouble getting by. The burden is on them to pass you safely...you just hold your line.

Least that's what they told me /images/icons/smile.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ditto the "hold your line" so long as you don't make any sudden changes in line the other guys should have no problem getting around you. As far as other advice. Go to the track day organizer and ask if you can follow someone who knows the track and a good line around it at a slow pace to get the feel of it (if they don't already have sighting laps) most guys should be happy to help for a couple of laps. Most track days out here have certain requirements i.e full leathers or = make sure you check before showing up. Saw a guy show up to Laguna Seca in Levi's and was unable to ride/images/icons/frown.gif. In closing, doing track days is like having sex, once you do it you can't stop./images/icons/smile.gif

Go Big or Go Home. <font color=red>Or just make sure you make it home?</font color=red>

·
Registered
380 Posts
fulchat, yeah there are plenty of posers with Ohlins and Brembos. It's a real shame they infest track days. God damn them all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, I'm one of them :)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
regarding Ohlins (no Brembo) dam I thought I was a squid now I'm just a poser......

at the track it's like in the movie where the driver rip's off the rear view mirror and says `what is behind us is of no concern'.....

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Registered
623 Posts
Beware of those with the ratty bikes and ratty leathers. They are usually the fastest guys. Quite often the nicest guys too so if you have any questions, those are the guys to ask.

My advice is to have fun and not to worry about going fast. If you do enough track days, speed will come. For now, just worry about having fun and learning as much as you can. Mostly having fun/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
380 Posts
Evo, don't worry about taking inside or outside line to make it easier for guys to pass you. The guys coming up on you love it when you're consistent... and trust me, they remember you, your bike, your colors, etc. So if you like to use all the track and apex near the inside and finish off near the outside, do it; trust me on this, the faster guys will let you go outside and just pass you inside.

It's take a little getting used to, but really, just look forward. Guys behind you have all the time in the world to figure out how to pass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Every track day should have a rider meeting and a preliminary "warm your tires, learn the track" session, so you'll be scared for the first session or two, but by late afternoon you'll be having the best time of your life!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
first track day brings a whole new meaning to `accelerate till you see god, wait to site elvis, then brake, then turn/lean and repeat'......

<font color=yellow>Zoom,Zoom,Zoom</font color=yellow>
<font color=yellow>MOVE OVER COMIN' THRU</font color=yellow>

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm ordering the leather track pants, boots and gloves.

I know a few people who are riding at the local track already so finding someone to follow shouldn't be to hard.

As far as the rat bikes go I'll be riding my 600 Kan-o-tuna and I'm pretty damn nice so maybe I'll be the fast guy one day/images/icons/wink.gif

I have no expectations other than to have fun so I'm thinking I'll be okay.

Thanks for all the replies/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>Antisigtite Bastage</font color=red>

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Evo, most track day organizations (at least all of the ones I have been to) have different groups for riders of different speeds. So usually if it is your first time, you don't really have to worry about being in the way of the 'real racers.' And like most people have already said, don't worry about getting in peoples way (as long as you are consistent.) There are a few people out there that have attitudes towards slower riders, but just look at it this way. If they are SOOO much faster then you, then they should have absolutely no problem passing you. If they do have a hard time passing you, then they aren't the sh!t they are thinking they are. Sounds like you have a good outlook on how you are going to personally approach it, but don't worry about the other people. Just watch out for the bone heads that are just plowing all over the place riding way over their heads. Hope you have fun. Btw, which track are you going to be tackling first?

Jay #43
http://haleanuenue.com/racing.html

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
This isent an "trackday" so to speak. It's just a local track where we can go out for half a day and "test and tune".
He and I will hopfuly be the only poeple there/images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/SecondCreek.htmlSecond Creek Raceway

They have test and Tune days every Thursday where basically anyone from beginner to expert can have thier way with the track/images/icons/smile.gif which means everyone is on at the same time. I've been there a few times to watch everyone and they all seem to be cool and laid back. $45 for half day. Colorado kicks ass as far as track costs are concerned/images/icons/cool.gif

<font color=orange>Antisigtite Bastage</font color=orange>

·
Registered
816 Posts
A good way to learn the track is actually working the corners. Contact the organizer and ask if they need corner workers. Organizers usually pay $50-100 per day, provide you lunch, and a great view of a particular corner. It gives you the opportunity to see what everyone is using as a reference point to brake, turn in, and accelerate. If you are unfortunate enough to see a crash in your corner, consider it a lesson on what not to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts