Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm about to buy my first sportbike and I thought I'd ask some opinions. I started riding 2 years ago and a wise friend pointed me in the direction of smaller bikes. I settled on a 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600. I am very comfortable on it now and I know I could ride better if my bike didn't feel like such a dog with leaded feet and the suspension didn't feel like a soggy pancake slapping a wooden board.

I suppose I need to be slapped down a little bit and have some folks with experience tell me I am a little insane. I went around looking at and reviewing some of the monster bikes. Obviously, the bikes that are not so good for me are the ones I am drawn to like a moth to a flame. I really enjoy the Hayabusa, GSXR1000, R1, ZX-12R. Though I also fancy the '02 ZX-9R in candy gold. /images/icons/shocked.gif

Anyway, I am 6'2" 200lbs and I don't particulary relish the idea of hugging the gas tanks of the R1 and Gixxer. It would seem to me that the ZX-9R and ZX-12R offer a very nice combination of comfort and handling. I like to ride for distance as well as let it rip now and then. I am also very calculating and I am pretty sure I can control myself in such a fashion as to not ride beyond my abilities.

I guess my question is, am I way out of my league even considering something like a ZX-9R or should I relax a bit and get something else?

Thanks.
Flame Away! /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
388 Posts
Since you have two years experience on a bike a 9R would probably suit you. Just take it really slow. Your close to doubling your weight to power ratio's. An all together different bike.

I've seen it to many times where an inexperienced
rider buys a big bike because he thinks it's cool or desires the need to show off. They usually end up selling the bike because it scares the [email protected] out of them, or they end up getting hurt and totaling the bike.
Just make sure you buy the bike for the right reasons.
Maybe look at the zx7r. I think that would fit you perfectly. A bike you can grow into.
good luck /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What about spending a fraction of the money on an MSF Experience Rider course or (better yet) a track school? In other words spend the $$ on becoming a better rider instead of on a new bike.

Just to play devil's advocate, are there some cheap upgrades you can make to the Bandit to make it acceptable, particularly if you don't like race-replica ergos? Progressive springs? New tires? Again, cheaper alternatives to a whole new bike.

·
eSpellinbeechampyun
6,773 Posts
2 years on a 600 Bandit??? Yeah dude, you're ready for the 9R. Of coarse it'll blow your other bike to pieces and all the rest of it, but you've got plenty of time under your belt as long as you have respect for the bike.

And if you don't have respect for them, a 600 Bandit will kill you like anything else.

[email protected] those <font color=blue>OUTLAW BIKERS</font color=blue>!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
The ZX-9R will be the right bike for you. I have had all makes and models and the 9 is the best all round bike i have owned. It is FASSSSST and feels good. Get that new sweet orange color. Mombo.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I suppose I could do all of that, but I'm not really too worried about saving money. And besides, there's just something to be said for doubling your horsepower to weight ratio and that candy gold ZX-9R looks beautiful!

I do plan to hit a track school as soon as I get situated with my new job and all. I think that would be an excellent place to learn more skills.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input.

I thank you all for your input. I am certain the ZX-9R is a great bike. I'm going to get one in a couple months.

/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Re: Thanks for your input.

hey, electromessiah...

found this thread in most imformative q&a- seems like you got the bike you wanted.. so how is it, is it what you expected it to be? :wink:

or would you say you should have gone first with a 6r? /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
or even jump directly to a 12r? :shocked:

i just wonder what it is like to ride a more powerful bike than you did before; i did so, but only for short periods of time (1-2h at once, and 3 times), so i couldn't really compare since i had to be too careful with not underestimating it :smirk:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

I thought you already had a 9R? Anyway, I love mine to death... It won't kill you on long rides... and it has plenty of power. I have about 4000 miles on mine since I bought it 6 months ago... :grin:

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts

Look at the dates - this thread was started back in March before the Dr. got his bike :smile:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Don't I feel like the dummy.... /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif :blush: :shocked: :tongue:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

Specialsymbol-

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
found this thread in most imformative q&a- seems like you got the bike you wanted.. so how is it, is it what you expected it to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

[4 thumbs up] :eek:oo: :laugh:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
or would you say you should have gone first with a 6r?
or even jump directly to a 12r?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I hit the sweet spot with the 9R. I'm a nutjob and require horsepower. While the 6R would have been adequate, for me, the feeling of raw power is just too cool. I'm glad I went with the 9R instead of the 12R because I'd have probably messed myself up at the time.

It threw me a few surprises while I was learning it. The power difference was quite a shock even knowing beforehand and anticipating the change. After the break-in I went to open it up and I went home with the biggest sh1t-eating grin ever. Nothing anyone could have told me would have prepared me for that.

For a couple months, I was a little timid because I had not developed good throttle control. Little changes in throttle produced much larger changes in acceleration than I was used to. A blip in the throttle in first gear before might have produced a little lurch, the 9R felt like it might rip my arms from their sockets. What would have been a controlled exit from a corner before turned into running a little wide. A couple times exiting corners that I knew well, I actually pulled the front wheel up a little on accident with the 9R. Wringing the piss out of the Bandit never caused that in a corner. The occasional accidental baby wheelies were new to me and made me a little uncomfortable. Now that I am used to the bike, when it happens, it's amusing.

Though after developing throttle control everything just fell into place. I started to fool around more and more and now I am just comfortable.

Of course the difference in handling from a Bandit to the 9R was incredible. The 9R just felt well planted and confidence inspiring in comparison.

I also like the size of the 9R compared to the 6R. I like to have a bike with some substance...especially since I have been doing quite a bit of riding. The 6R feels like youre sitting on a bicycle seat. The 9R feels manly. LOL. It's pretty good for distance riding, but it won't even touch the Bandit in terms of touring.

In summary, the 9R is a great bike. It's more than enough bike for me....but I'm a junkie and I'll probably go out and buy a Busa or a 12R just for bragging rights after I ride this one for a while.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

I say get what ever you want. If you think about it, is a bike that runs through the traps of the quarter at 125 safer than a bike that runs through them at 145? Speaking strictly speed wise, both bikes are equally dangerous. The only thing a bigger bike will get you into trouble with is road racing. With a more powerful bike, can you say High Side? It's much easier to spin the rear tire exiting a corner on a bike with more torque. But if you have a level head on your sholders, you'll be fine. Or, if you're like me and fancy drag racing, just take it easy while riding around on the street. A few of my friends don't call me the Caboosa for nothing (I was even slower on my 900RR). :smile:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

I am not sure I am quite convinced that a person who is experienced and prudent enough to be safe aboard a 9 would be in any greater danger aboard a 12.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I'm not 100% convinced, but coming from a non-sportbike 600cc to the 9R was quite a jump. I think going to the 12R from my old Bandit would be surprising to say the least...especially if you like to mess around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts