Sportbike Racing Forum banner

first bike

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Buelligan 
#1 ·
I am looking into buying my first bike, the first bike i am considering is a cbr 600 and f3 prolly a 96, i know thses are good bikes but might be a bit steep for me i am looking to spend about 3000-3500

the second choice of mine is going to be a buell, i relly like the look of the M2 and i want it, is the M2 new for this year? if not where cn i find used ones? another choice that falls into this proce range is a buell blast, i know it is a single cylinder 40 hp little bike, buthas anyone had experince with his bike? i know it is prooly a good beginner bike but does it go 90mph? of not how fast? does it appear to be a full sized bike, i might end up getting this bike but i dont want to grow out of it and for it just to be so slow and to small, what i am asking is your opinions on the buell blast for 3000 or would i be better to spend a little more and get into something bigger?

#2 ·
I'm a Blast owner but mine is far from stock. The Blast is a good starter bike but after a year you may be looking for more HP (32rwhp is more like reality). 3K is an OK price (Check EBAY there are usually a few and you can get some idea there) I like the fact that it's a single so I'm gonna continue to tweak my Blast. Next up is a Nallin Big Bore (515cc) kit and a Stage 3 head porting which should give me something like 48-52RWHP depending on the Ignition. I found a fairing that will bolt on. Add some clipons and the fron end will be complete. the rear is another matter though since I just sprung for a Corbin seat I'll be living with that for a year or two. There is a lot that can be done with/to the Blast though the M2 is the same way. 1997 was the first year the M2 was made. They can be found used and are quite likely the best overall bike that Buell has ever made. The M2 is truely a Jack of all trades. It will cruise, tour and carve with the best of them. It is the least problem ridden bike next to the Blast. Many folks prefer the M2 to the X1 (it has more torque than the X1). All buells HAVE to be broken in Properly if they aren't then watch out because you will have problems by the truckload. After about 5K miles they really start to shine and seem to get better with age. I talked to a guy the other day who has an early M2 with the "recalled" shock on it that he sent out for revalving it works fine. Though there are plenty of Shocks made for it (Penske being one of the better). Owning a Buell is a lot like owning a Ducati they do require a bit more Maintence though unlike a Ducati you can do much of that maintainence yourself and you're not paying the steep Italian prices. You are likely to be able to find a good M2 that's already been customized a bit.

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow...
...that's what makes my thumper go

#4 ·
no sorry i am not interested in that particular bike, i am just so curious about how fast top end the buell blast is, and on ebay for 3500 there are some 96 cbr 600 and they want $3000 for a 2000 blast, i think i might splurge and get the cbr in a few months

#5 ·
Blast Top end is about 100mph in stock trim. It's pretty stable at that speed though it is a bit breezy. It cruises quite easily at 70mph

#7 ·
I agree, get a CBR. Nothing against the Blast, but with only 32rwhp, that bike must feel like its having a conniption fit at highway speeds with everything vibrating, rattling and shaking violently. It may be able to reach 100mph, but will you have enough road to see it get there? You'll probably need an airstrip if you want to see those numbers and the engine is probably screaming bloody murder once you past 50mph.

#9 ·
Mod???did you say mod?? I have a displacement upgrade on the way HP up to 51, torque to 48lbs. I figure rear tires are gonna get roasted on a regular basis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.