Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after having my new Metzler Sportec M1 tires for 3 weeks I finally found time to change out the front. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be. It took about 2 1/2 hours start to finish. Everything happened as expected, except the balancing part. I setup a leveled tripod to balance the tire by gravity. I used the tires axle to do this. It seemed that I was not able to find a heavy side to the tire. I spun it over & over. It never stopped at the same spot. I thought it may have been dragging so I wiped all the parts and the axle down and applied a light coat of WD40. I tried it again and I still couldn't find a heavy spot. I rotated it 1/4 turns and watched it but it never moved. Am I doing something wrong here or did I just get lucky and got a good balance from the start? The job was so easy there was very little struggling. I removed the tire and installed the new M1 without taking off the rotors. I drove it for a while and cruising at 100mph I didn't feel anything abnormal, so I guess only time will tell. Next week I'll do the rear :)
Another question for you all, when you get the tire of the bike before re-assembling it back on do you break it all down to re-grease the bearings? I found that they seem pretty good so I left them in place and applied additional grease to them and the axle before assembly. Well this was my first, it can only get better and faster from here (I hope).

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Just wonderin', but....isn't it easier to just pay a shop $60 to do both, while you munch on a cheeseburger and sit on some showroom bikes? /images/icons/smile.gif I guess you want to experience the "hands on" feeling ?! Just kiddin', congrats on your work!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QQQQ, I originally took the tire off and went to the dealer to have them do it (i didn't have a large enough C clamp to break the beed). They wanted me to leave it for several days. Well besides having to wait, it would have cost me around $80-$100 for both if on the bike. So it was cheaper and easier for me to by the C clamp than to wait and pay for this bike & my wifes(zx9R) which is next in line for tires. After always paying I'm now looking forward to doing it myself, if I can get the balacing down right. Anyway I hate having the dealer do work on it because I take it home and go through all the steps double checking everything I can just to be sure it was done right. My dealer is supossed to be good and yet at the 600 mile service they left out screws and never changed my oil filter or grease the cables. If I'm going to do it myself I at least want to save the money

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
A. Your shop is ridicoulous...it takes 10 minutes for an experienced wrench to do both tires. No reason it should cost anywhere near $100. Mine normally cost $12.50 per tire. Balanced and all. I take the wheel and new tire to them so they don't have to fumble with all the labor.

B. Yes, it's very possible you just got a good tire. It happens.

<font color=red>vroom vroom</font color=red>

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

It seemed that I was not able to find a heavy side to the tire. I spun it over & over. It never stopped at the same spot. I thought it may have been dragging so I wiped all the parts and the axle down and applied a light coat of WD40. I tried it again and I still couldn't find a heavy spot. I rotated it 1/4 turns and watched it but it never moved. Am I doing something wrong here or did I just get lucky

<hr></blockquote>

You may have a tire that balanced out or your bearings are tight enough not to allow a small weight difference to rotate the tire.
To check for this, with the tire stopped put a small weight on the top ( not in the center ) of the tire. It should turn, if not you can't balance your tires that way.
I recently experienced this with an FZ1.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Malibuken, The dealer wants $65.00 just to take the bike in and then $8.50 to balance each tire. Way too much for me to justify even if they do it right away.

Serpentine, I thought of what you suggested. I taped a weight on and held it at 1:00 o'clock and at 11:00 o'clock. Slowly if fell to the bottom but very slowly.
I thought it might not be spinning free enough which is why I used wd40 instead. OH Well, yesterday I took it for a quick blast and had it 160mph (indicated) with no signs of problems, I also crused home from work at 100mph for several minutes and everything was fine except that I had too much air in the front(40psi).
One of my other questions weren't answered, When changing tires do you guys or the dealer re-grease the bearings or leave them alone?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I regrease the axle to prevent rust and seizing, the bearings are the sealed type.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just changed my back tire. I thought it was going to be easier because of its larger size but I was wrong. Anyway, got it changed and balanced and all seems right so far. I need to put a few miles on it to make sure I got the balance and alignment right. The gravity balance procedure this time did find a heavy side so i conterweighted and seemed good. Thought I was doing it wrong on the front since I couldn't find a heavy spot But I guess not. This was my first time changing tires and it is great knowing that I can do it myself. Now I got to start all over on my wifes ZX9R :) By the way I drop from a 200 to a 190 tire size.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most dealers charge a lot more to do it if the wheel is on the bike. If you simply take the wheel off and take it in to the dealer, much lower cost. (Of course, if you bought the new tire someplace else, they may not be as happy to see you.)

"It came to pass."

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
When I'm running 150mph the last thing I want to think about is wether or not I got the tire balanced properly. As far as the long wait at the dealer, you had the tires for three weeks. I just had a new rear put on mine. Dropped the bike off with the new tire, picked it up an hour later, total cost, $40.00. I work 12 hour days and some saturdays, so 40 bucks and a hour out of my day was well worth it. It seems the more I ride the more guys I run into that cut corners when it comes to maintaining their bikes. It's almost like they don't have any cash left after they make the bike payment and insurance premium. Just my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rider6, My bike is paid for in cash (including my wife's ZX9R)! All accessories I buy for it and my cars are paid for in cash! Money is not usually an issue, saving $40 is not much of a consideration if I could get fast quality service. My dealer although they mean well are not detailed orientated. They always leave out work, have slow service, and charge slightly higher prices than most I've dealt with. I decided to do my own wheels so that I can be more familiar with my bike and the state that it is in. I double-check everything after it returns from the deal anyway so If I can do it myself why not. Yes it took me a while to change them and get it right. But now that I have all the tools I need, the balancing part down right, and the experience for already doing it I bet it will take me less time the next time. I enjoy doing my own work, it relaxes me and I feel comfortable when I'm riding it. I'm glad your experience was so much fast then mine (picked it up an hour later, total cost, $40.00.) that just isn't an option for me here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts