Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this is a stupid question. maybe it's just me.

why is it whenever i go to the gas station, place the pump into the gas tank, the gas never flows smoothly?
it must be the angle when the pump's in this position?
maybe these "smart" pumps were made for cars only?
i have to keep pumping the handle to get small amounts of gas in, little by little.
this is pretty annoying.

what am i doing wrong?
tia

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Are you putting the pump all the way into the tank? Doesn't this signal the pump that your tank is full? I only place the tip of the nozzle into the tank and start pumping lightly as to not have fuel splash back on my tank. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well I dont think your doing anything wrong...I much rather get the fuel slowly into the tank then having it splash on the paint job ... fuel and paint dont mix!
But like you said maybe it's the pumps...you gotta have a controlled squeeze...try another gas station?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
You think it's tough now wait 'til you get a pump with a recovery boot on it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
yeah those boots are a pain in the A$$. You gotta hold the stupid thing back so the gas will actually pump.

redCBR

Fly N LOW

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Boots suck A$$... /images/icons/mad.gif Ban the Boots Ban the Boots /images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>SilverF4/images/icons/cool.gif
<font color=blue>"Respect the Wrist!!!"

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Oh you can cheat so you can fill the tank all the way.. you just pull the boot back with my free hand and pump away.. hehehehe /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Hey Silver for $10 I won't rat you out. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
hands always smell like you're a gas huffin deadbeat if you pull back the boot....they suck though for sure. i dunno, keep only the tip of the gas nozzle in there and you'll be set.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
All the nozzles around here have boots on them. I just hold the boot with my right hand, insert the tip of the nozzle and pump with my left. And I never get off the bike. Do other people get off the bike to pump or sit on it?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
First thing you wanna do is this....Hold the handle over the opening(just slightly inserted) With your other hand pull the accordian like tubing up towards the handle and then......With the hand holding the handle proceed to pull the lever ..."Vioala" you're pumping at an accellerated rate and you've just graduated from the ranks of the handicapped!/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I get off the bike to fell it up because I have to get out my wallet in my trunk. I don't have good enough cordination to sit and fill maybe because I'm young and stupid /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I sit on the bike so I can get the most Gas I can in to the tank, Then i have to get off and get my wallet out of the tail. We are lucking in Colo that we dont have those catch tubs on the pumps

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
LOL serpentine /images/icons/laugh.gif We don't have the boot where I live.. hahaha plus I'm not implying I do any of that.. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I don't pump gas while sitting on the bike. I've heard of people spilling gas in their laps to dropping bikes when putting the nozzle back. Getting gas gives me a chance to stretch my legs and back for a second.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Are you guys and gals filling it all the way to the apron? I have heard wrenchs say that you can cause vapor lock which is bad for FI bikes. I am curious if any of you have and if any of you have experienced any problems thereafter? 6 days till I get my bike, woo hoo.

~A

Don't BRAKE till you see the whites of their eyes, oh yeah remind me which is the brake lever again

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I believe the "fill to" point might differ on bikes. My friends F4 has this little metal tab below the tank opening that is supposed to be the fill to mark (I believe). On my 748 I fill mine until it reaches the lower edge of the tank opening when filling it on the side stand.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Duc and all,

When you pop open your gas tank to refill, does it make that rushing vapor sucking in sound?

Don't BRAKE till you see the whites of their eyes, oh yeah remind me which is the brake lever again

1 - 20 of 30 Posts