Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 929 with about 9500 miles. Just recently, I started hitting an occasional false neutral between fifth and sixth gear. It only happens when I'm upshifting and only between those gears. Once it's in sixth, it's fine. Anybody else experience this? I called my dealer and they said to keep riding it until it starts happening more often, then bring it in. Any idea what could be causing it?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Had that on my TL and caused me to eat it! Reverse the shift pattern by getting a new lever from Hard Racing or rotate the cam, it will eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
happens to me on SUPER hard acceleration out of first gear, or if i'm just not paying attention (very rare). nothing quite like screaming out of first at 12k and puttin it to 14k in neutral...yeah i'm a d!ck, let tach roll down to 6 shift it and proceed along with head hung low haha

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
My 954 did it quite a few times when it was new, at 600 miles I changed the oil and it only did it a few times but the other day it did it twice in one day. Dealership said there hasn't been any other complaints so no recall.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Question, how do you speed shift? For years when ever I ride at full throttle as I come up on redline I blip the throttle and pick up on the shifter at the same time, it's never caused a false neutral until I do it on the 954. Today I tried preloading the shifter and blip the throttle and it goes right into gear, drop the shifter pick up on it again and blip the throttle when ready to shift again. But I've not tried it at full throttle. How does anyone else do their clutchless speed shifts?

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
900 Posts
a lot of times false neutrals are due to not getting a good push or pull and getting it in gear all the way so it pops out of the mesh. You need to make sure you are giving a good positive shift. We all have this problem from time to time when shifting fast and not getting a good shift. Sometimes it just happens because the gears don't mesh together fully. This can also happen due to not having the shift lever adjusted right as someone mentioned. The rule of thumb on setting it right is the arm that is clamped to the tranny shaft and it's tierod end need to be parallel with the tie rod and pivot point on your shift lever. If these are not parallel with eachother then the shifter will feel notchy which in most cases causes mis shifts or false neutrals. I agree GP pattern can fix this but sometimes it still happens so just try to be as positive on your shifting as you can.
One thing we need to clear up on. Blipping the throttle is raising the rpms between downshifts. You shouldn't be blipping the throttle and trying to upshift! If you want to shift without the clutch (speed shifting if you will) you want to just let off the gas I really don't close it all the way, and then as your starting to let off the gas a bit you should be applying tension on the shift lever. As you apply more pressure and get the timing down right with the throttle you just give an extra tap on the shifter and it should shift in nice and smooth in which you should be pinnin the throttle. Oh yah becareful whackin the throttle open cuz sometimes pulling on the gas to hard will throw the front end into a tank slapper cuz your first unloading the front wheel, and two your applying pressure (pulling pressure) to the right bar. Steering dampners help in this situation a lot. They still happen though.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a few less miles on my 929 but every once in a while I get those gremlin neutrals. On all my bikes it tends to be a problem somewhere between my brain and foot. Usually after I fix the connection there is no problem! :)

Mr.Joshua

1 - 8 of 8 Posts