Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me if I can take the front of my 99 zx-6r and change it into a 2000 or 2001? How hard will it be? Any response will be greatly appreciated.....Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have any idea who it was and how hard was it? i figure it would take a new upper and head lights and probably new mounting brackets.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think that there were virtually no changes (graphics) from 99 to 00 to 01, but I could be wrong. If that's the case, then it should be a simple switch. Consult a parts manual or call your dealer and see if they are the same or not.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The big difference between the 99 and the 2000/20001 is the twin headlight system as opposed to the single light in the 1999. Kawasaki implimented the "cat-eye" look in 2000 and carried it on through 2001. It has the slightly pointed headlights for the front end. So my guess is if you ripped out the front fairing on both sides you may be able to swap it out for a 2000 headlight system. You might want to call Kawasaki in the parts department...they are usually pretty good about this stuff...be careful with the colors too, they are slightly different from year to year and the shades they use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Maverick,thats excactly what i want to do,i love those headlights on the newer zx6.....thanks again

·
Registered
81 Posts
srzx6, I swapped out my 99 front fairing with a 2000. You will need to change the the headlights, instrument cluster (the bars will hit if not) and instrument cluster bracket. There will also be a little rewiring needed for wiring harness leading to the instrument cluster. It took me a little while to figure it out but after that, it was easy. Unless you get a real good deal on all of these things ($400 bucks in my case including the fairing) It going to cost you a grip. Here's my 99 with the 2000 front clip.

·
Registered
359 Posts
blubyu:

That is one sweet looking 9r. /images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>On the Gas Kickin Ass</font color=blue>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey BluBYU........SWEET....I really appreciate the info,I was hoping it could be done...did you get all your parts new?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts