Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone\'s favorite topic...hehehe

Which friggin bike? Please, hold the applause for *that* question. First off, I rode mad's 996 the day before he lost it at the gap. I am finished with 4's, enough said. I pretty much already knew that after riding a TL-R, I just didn't realize how good a twin could be until I rode the 996. Here's the dilemma though. I'm getting off a 600 4 cyl., and realize that at my size I need a touch more power, so I'm a little reluctant to commit to the 748 - though to go twin its the most economical (looking at bike AND insurance) - used of course. Then again, in a perfect world I could get the 1000 size twin, in which case I could get an RC51 for about the same price as the 748. (I *have* found some very reasonable 916's though.) Anyone with experience on all three bikes - speak up! No offense Chuck, but you now I gotta get more opinions, in case I end up not getting a chance to throw a leg over the 748 and/or RC before I decide. Jeez - I hate this part.

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Re: Everyone\'s favorite topic...hehehe

Yeah, v-twin's typically rev at 500 RPM's less so you do have more available and usable power than four bangers.

·
Registered
770 Posts

By referring to the three bikes, are you talking about the 996/748/RC-51 or the TL-R/748/RC-51??

Well, I don't have any experience on the 748 but a lot of guys here do and have great info on it (see former thread "748 Opinions".

996 - Loved it. Had more "soul" than any other twin I've ever ridden (any other bike for that matter). Nice powerband with flat torque curve. Steering was tight without being heavy and it was extremely confidence inspiring through the twisties. Also, no other bike gets the attention the Duc receives. You'll feel like your on display everytime you are sitting at a stoplight. Also, be prepared to answer a ton of questions everytime you dismount the bike in a public place. The drawbacks to the 996 are seating position for long hauls (although those of us under 6' don't seem to have as much problems with that). Even with the heat shields in place, your right calf will really cook on hot days. Also, your service requirements will be more frequent and a tad expensive. Valve adjustments every 6K and belt replacement every 12K. Oh, some people have problems with the exhaust cooking their butt, but I didn't experience that. There are remedies for the heat issues if they really become a problem.

RC-51. I really liked this bike when it came out and was quite excited when I first got to ride it. However, I was disappointed for several reasons. While I did think the motor was sweet (love the sound of the gear drive), the handling wasn't quite as spot on as the Ducs. Granted, I did not have an opportunity to tweak the suspension in for me. Also, the brakes, while very powerful had a very "wooden" feel to them. I felt like they were either "off" or "on". Maybe a switch of pads could rememdy that. I dunno, I guess I was just hoping for something more.

TL-R - Honestly, the sweetiet motor of the bunch. What a powerhouse. The brakes on the one I rode were awesome, but the owner had put on EBC pads so I don't know about the stock set-up. Handling was pretty good, but you definitely felt the weight on this bike compared to the other two. While I did think the steering damper was a good idea on a powerful twin, I would have rather had an adjustable on as I thought this one was too hard. Slow speed turning on this bike proved to be a great forearm/shoulder workout. No fun on U-turns. I keep hearing rumors about a revised TL-R coming out from Suzuki and I hope they prove to be true. There is a ton of potential in this bike that needs to be tapped. Oh, not a fan of the rotary shock. Maybe they'll put a more conventional set-up on the rear. One can only hope.

In summary, I understand how you feel about the twins. I love the feel/sound that I get from a twin when I ride it. Oh, and to avoid any possible flames, please understand that I'm nit-picking these bikes. I think all three are great bikes in their own right and I wouldn't mind seeing any one of them sitting in my garage... Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
104 Posts

TWINS... Why not a Aprilia RSV Mille... AWESOME BIKE!!! VERY VERY powerful, a blast to ride! and rare! :p Brakes are awesome, the look is just as good or better then the ducs (my thoughts) And people will just ask you, what do you have? a WHAT? then you tell them and they are in awwww...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Well, as much as it pains me to say /images/icons/wink.gif, the RSV is IMO one of the best values available today. Once you take into account all the variables (cost, performance, etc...), the ultimate decision is the one that doesn't make sense: get what you WANT. When I was shopping for a replacement for my totalled 900SS, I was considering the 996, RSV (R), and any number of Japanese 4's. I got the 996 because thats the bike I've wanted since I first saw it in late '93. Sure it may be overpriced compared to other bikes. Sure it may require more maintenance than any other bike out there. Sure it may be uncomfortable around town. Sure it may cost more for aftermarket stuff. So what??????

Get what pulls at your heart, and get the one you can afford. I'm more than willing to live with some inconveniences to have the bike of my dreams.

·
Registered
104 Posts

HERE HERE! well said... I LOVE the Ducs... but if you noticed my name.. dreamRSV yes, I'm living and owning my dream now... I LOVE my bike, I'm crazy over it... We all can enjoy one common things, we all have NICE italian bikes, rare to the jap bikes, and there is just something about a person that owns an overpriced toy... as you said WHO CARES... Get what bike you'll be DAMN proud to say it yours.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, lets go down the list - and thanks for the replies thusfar. First, the TL-R isn't really in the picture at this time. I've ridden one, and it is a nice bike, but I have 3 in mind right now. 748, 916, or RC51. Here's the deal. 748 or 916: I "know" they have the chassis to get the job done, and I can't imagine the motor isn't there too. The big drawback is that I will *have* to buy used, no question. This makes me a little nervous, even moreso than if it were a Honda. I still haven't had the chance to ride the 51 yet, so these 2 are really in the lead right now. The reason I have to buy used is TOTAL cost of getting one. I'm including getting the bike checked out properly before purchase, the bike, insurance, maintenance, etc. (And by the way, I absolutely LOVE the Mille!!! But at those prices (I can't even hardly *find* a used one) its a little out of reach. This is why the RC is so much in the equation. If it is anywhere close to the performance (and I mean the performance that has nothing to do with HP), it will proably go to the top quickly. I mean, if its Duc quality at the prices I can get one, it's an absolute steal. I don't expect it to be exactly as good, but just close. I am doing research all I can as far as getting people's impressions from as many different sources as I can, hopefully I'll make the right choice. This bike will be with me for a while, so it has to be a good one. (I was about 99% sure I would be selling the F4i within 2 years back when I bought it.) Thanks for the advice so far, I'm always open to ideas!

·
Registered
104 Posts

Where are you located??? You can get used Milles for AWESOME prices.. around 11k... just a thought.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm in Florida, aka rip-off city. The place where a new RC51 will run you about $12,200 otd. I'll probably be traveling to Atlanta or somewhere similar regardless of which bike I buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts

If at all possible you should ride a 748 before you make your decision. My boyfriend has a 996 sps and he prefers to ride mine. The 748 just handles so sweet. His friend has taken my 748 for a "short" ride too and it took a long time for him to get back. The guys just love my bike. I would let you ride her but I am in Dallas. Sorry!

Me and duchess.
Picture downloading
Please wait a few more months.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

130Gunner, I think you'll know the right bike when you see it. As you've heard, the best way is to ride the different bikes and see what you think. There are too many variables to consider to really discuss them in-depth here. I don't mean to make light of your requests, but I personally feel that motorcycles aren't really *logical* machines and that emotion is a huge factor. Some people want the latest and greatest machine, and thats great. Some people will always buy *brand X* because that's what they dig. It only matters what you really want.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes you're looking at. My best friend has a 2000 RC51 and he just loves it. I love my 996. You'll hear people that love their 748's. I'm probably an average rider (at best) and I'll never be able to use my bike to its true potential. $hit, I probably couldn't use the true potential of 90% of the bikes out there.

If it really boils down to a cash decision, the Honda is your best bet. If you really really want the 748/996 but can't afford it right now, get the Honda and keep a picture of the Duke on your fridge. When the time is right (young Skywalker), it will be yours.

I know I'm not answering your questions, but I think people get too hung up on performance numbers. There is absolutely no reason for me to own a 996! I'm a barely average rider (I fantasize about dragging knee, and pretend I'm awesome though!), I don't ride the track (I hope to change that soon) and I'm built like a brick $hithouse. So what????? Every day I look at my bike, several times. I go to the garage and smile. I love to ride it even though it hurts my back if I ride a straight line more than a mile at under 100mph. It hurts my butt. All that being said, I wouldn't trade it for anything (well, maybe a 998R).

In (long winded) summary, I would suggest getting the RC51 for a few reasons. Performance wise, its on-par or better than either Ducati. It handles well according to my best friend, and who *really* uses the bike to it's potential even once? If you do, you are a stud, but I'm not and I don't lose sleep over it. Hold on to your bike as long as you can, and when you can swing it, get the Ducati. Even though they are 50-75% more than the Japanese competetion, it's still way less than most cars out there. I'm a proponent of buying new if you can swing it. There's nothing like sitting on a virgin bike and smelling the 'new bike' smell in your garage for six months.

BTW, the RC51 is waaaay more comfortable than my 996. We swapped bikes a couple months ago and after it was done, he said: "MAN!!! And I thought my seat was uncomfortable!!!!"

·
Registered
104 Posts

Heres just an idea out of www.denverpost.com I live in denver and I know you can get bikes sent to you for like 250$ or so..

Aprilia - 2000 Milie 1000, titanium exhaust & chip, 800 mi. Beaut $9300

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Erik, the more I think about it, the more I think along the lines of exactly what you said. As far as riding to potential of the bike, I'm pretty sure I'm not even *close* to the potential of even my F4i. (Which would put me way out of range of riding the potential of my potential new bike.) I do, however, have a nearby track now (thank GOD!), and I ride less and less on the street - though I don't think I'll ever stop altogether. This is where the twin comes into play, but I don't have to tell anyone here the values of twins! Of course, just when I think I want to go ahead and get the RC, someone like dreamRSV comes along and throws a Mille for 9300 in my face!!! /images/icons/laugh.gif Seriously though, thanks for the advice, that's what I was looking for. (And also always looking for a deal like that Mille!) Ahhh, the drama continues!

·
Registered
770 Posts

Well said, Erik. All these bikes are really great rides. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Don't feel like you are "settling". Even the least expensive bike of the bunch will put a grin on your face you won't be able to wipe away for months. /images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
104 Posts

hehe sorry man... I just think that sometime the Mille gets OVER looked :( It's a true work of art and OMG does the thing have ballz! If you look you can get AWESOME deals on 00 and 01 Milles'... :p

·
Registered
664 Posts

I'd give an opinion, but hell, I was biased about Ducati's before I even bought one and now I'm so opinionated it's just silly. Silly I tell ya!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

No prob dream, I love the Mille's too, and no one with that bike should be hesitant to make a shameless plug for them. There is only one thing that I actually don't like about them, and that's the dash. But for a good enough deal, I could get over that!

Wingman - I can only imagine what I'll be like if I end up on a Duc! hehehe (And I just got a lead on a steal on a 99 748...)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

130gunner, there is a new "old" Mille-R for sale at the local Ducati/Aprilia dealer. I think it's a '99 or '00 and never been sold.It's black and gorgeous. I'll bet they are willing to deal on it, just to get it out of their inventory.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I have a 748 and an RC51. Both awesome in their own right.

The 748 is a track only bike but is fairly stock motor-wise (lightened flywheel, chip and half exhaust). Nothing, and I mean nothing I have ever owned is as confidence inspiring or fun to ride fast as this bike. As street bikes they have much of the same benefits. Quick revving (compared to the 916/996/998, stable handling and great sounds.

The RC (street bike being converted as you read this to a track only bike) is great in it's own right, but takes a little more tweaking to make it feel as good as the Duc. They come stock with a good quality rear shock but not enough rear ride height. An aftermarket link or a simple five milimeter spacer does wonders. the forks work pretty well, but heavier riders can't seem to get them to work right without some stiffer springs. Fooling with fork oil level/weight helps too. As far as the wooden brakes, a set of Goodridge lines and DP or HRC pads will give you all the brakes (and feel) you'll ever need.

The main difference here is POWER. The RC has a 30+ horsepower advantage across the board and yes, you can REALLY feel it, hence the conversion to racebike for me. I love the 748 and will continue to race it, but it does get old getting passing people through the corners and then getting dusted 2/3rd the way down the straights by those pesky Japanese 600s.

The neat thing is, if you shop around you can buy a nice used RC51 & 748 for the price of a new 998. In any event, having to choose between any of the bikes you mentioned is not a bad position to be in!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

erik - Hold that thought, Aprilia is making a strong run to the front in this little "next bike" race.

Triple - I *wish* I was in a position to buy a 748 and an RC51! /images/icons/laugh.gif Unfortunately, it may ultimately come dwon to price, which would probably lead me to a used RC51, or a used 748 if I could find the right one for the right price. I have my eye on a 2001 RC51 right now that already has exhaust and a PCII for about $9000. I also ran into a guy at deal's gap last weekend with a NICE 748 (except its yellow) for about $8000, with pipes, chip, new flywheel, and 5 spoke Marchesini's. That kind of thing is what puts me in a pickle. I've ridden a Duc, but it was a 2001 996, and I haven't ridden an RC or 748. Makes me nervous about really committing to either one. I know I'll end up with a great bike either way, I just don't want to buy one, and then end up riding the other a month later only to wish I had gotten *that* one instead. Ah well, I'll probably never sell mine wiht my luck and never even get that far! /images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts