Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a electrical problem on my 98 zx6r when i hit the start button the bike will start but as soon as i let off the button it will die as long as i hold in the button it will stay running? any help would be appreciated

<font color=green>sorry officer the dealer must have filled my front tire with helium or something</font color=green>

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any help?

<font color=green>sorry officer the dealer must have filled my front tire with helium or something</font color=green>

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sounds like it could be a problem in the ignition switch module. (the one with the start & kill buttons on it) I assume all the other electric things work? (lights, horn?)

If it was a starter problem in the motor or the solenoid, then I would think the motor would never STOP.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
976 Posts
this sounds kind of goofy. are you sure that there isnt a mechanical break in the kill switch that you are fixing when you hold the start button? id see if the starter/kill switch assembly is mechanically sound inside.

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
switch is ok i disconnected it and jumped the wires at the plug same result! its got me stumped!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hmm..might be something inside the starter motor itself..Just don't know what could cause that. Do the headlights and everything work OK? On my bike, when you turn the ignition on initially, the headlights are off. They only come on AFTER the engine starts..something in that circuit might be killing the ignition system.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
headlight and turn signals do not work

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ok..that's a pretty major problem then. If it turns over, but dies when you let go of the starter, then the solenoid isn't releasing properly, or the main ignition circuit isn't working right. Could be a bad relay, or a blown fuse, or a problem in the ignition control computer. Make sure all your fuses are good..Other than that, you're gonna need a multimeter and a schematic..or take it to a dealer..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds bizarre. I'm surprised that there is any link between the starter button and the ignition system other than the upstream connection that they are fed 12V from the same place. Is the bike definitely firing when you have the button pressed?

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
That is bizarre, I studied the wiring diagram of a 9R which should be similar and Dr Spankle is correct. The only connection is the output of the kill switch energizes both the starter circuit and the ignition. I see no way for the starter to back feed the ignition.

Also, the turn signals not working has no connection to starting. The headlight wont come on until the engine starts, but the signals should work all the time

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have a 98 6r and the headlight comes on after I first hit the start button. If the engine does not fire, the headlight is on anyway. Also the turn signals will work before pressing the starter button, as well as with the ignition in the other position (turns the taillight on for emergencies.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can anyone scan a copy of the wiring schematic? i have one for a gsxr but its a totaly different system

1 - 12 of 12 Posts