Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on the Muzzy full TI system with the Carbon can for my 98 9R. I like the Akrapovic but it is heavier and more expensive. I will give up some peak HP to get the Muzzy's lighter weight and lower price.

Now, which jet kit? Muzzy recommends the Dynojet. I am intrigued by Ivan's kit, though. Ivan's is meant for the Akra pipe but will work with the Muzzy according to the website.

Some real world feedback would be appreciated......

·
Registered
158 Posts
First, who told you that you would lose peak HP?

Sportrider did a test on 12 full systems, the Muzzy and Hindle systems tied for peak power, Akra down 1.8 hp.
torque were nearly the same, .1 difference.

Muzzy was about 4 1/2 lbs. lighter than Akra.

Akra was quietest on average, Muzzy second loudest.

Muzzy cheaper( the price the mag gave was 795.00 but that is the price of their stainless system not the Ti)
Akra most expensive.

I wouldn't get a Dynojet kit, get a Factory(Muzzy uses them too) or the Ivan's(they are designed for 4-in-to-1 systems, that's why they work with Muzzy's) I have the Factory kit with settings from Muzzy.

<font color=green>If your elbow isn't touching, what's the point in riding?</font color=green>

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything I've read shows the Akra making slightly more power on top but not enough to matter to me.

I will look closer at the Factory kit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Akr is a 4-1 pipe with cross over tubes on the headers. The Muzzy is a 4-2-1 with no crossover. If I'm not mistakened, the Akr uses a merge plate in the collection area which emulates a 4-2-1 design with a shorter distance. I don't think there is much difference in pk hp and torque but some people say that the Akr is easier to tune. It does give a smoother torque curve. I was thinking about getting an Akr but I got a super deal on a Muzzy TI (from MD racing) and I've already customized the can. (Check photo)
I guess it's up to you, if you do a lot of around town commuting, an Akr is great (smoother torque, quieter) if you're balls to the walls, who's worried about noise?

·
Registered
729 Posts
LISTEN UP BRO BEFORE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE!

I have the same bike, same year, same pipe and can, and you have to get the Factory kit....Call Factory they will give you the specific jet settings once you get it, or I will email you the ones I have...But don't get the Dynojet...The other important thing you have to do is when you rejet and put the new pipe on, remember you have to remove the Air Injector Valve that sits under the Air Box, and get the Muzzy Reed Cover block off plates for the head...PLEASE TRUST ME>>>Im not an expert but I learned about this the hard way....

·
Registered
81 Posts
To save money on the block off plates, I just removed the air injection device an connected the two hoses with a small plastic pipe. Same effect, no money spent (except the $.87 cents for the plastic pipe).

SyAnk, could you email your jet settings. I have a Muzzy with a Factory jet, I'd like to compare.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I did the same a blubyu with the exhaust hoses, works great for me too.

The factory jet kit is great, I have the Factory Pro race kit on my 9R and it really smoothed out the throttle response. My exhaust is Muzzy slip-on only.

High speed slows time - go fast, stay young!
http://home.satx.rr.com/jroberts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Hey, I didn't buy the block off plates either! I just used a hose like these other guys! /images/icons/smile.gif

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
882 Posts
Big Al, in fact I think you are the one who suggested it to me many moons ago! I was having the lean mixture 9R blues, and that was one of your suggestions on how to get rid of it. That and the jet kit did it.

High speed slows time - go fast, stay young!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the Dynojet. I am just now getting serious about these mod's. I had read about the air injection on another board thanks for the reminder...

I am assuming that the jet settings will change some for altitude. I am at 5000 ft. Are the instructions specific enough for a novice mechanic to install the jet kit correctly / successfully?

·
Registered
882 Posts
That was my first jet kit install on a bike and I did not have any problem with it. I had done carb work before on cars so I had some experience. But you should be OK as long as you can remove the tank, airbox, and carb assembly. If you can do that you can handle the jet kit.

As far as altitude, that will make a difference. Call Factory tech support and they will give you some reccomendations. They are usually very helpful.

I suggest doing only one carb at a time, that way you do not get the parts mixed up. Also be sure you work in a clean area, no dirt and oil encrusted work benches. /images/icons/smile.gif

One tip... instead of unbolting the fairing stay bracket (the one that attaches to the mirrors) to get the tank off, go to the hardware store and buy the torx bit that fits the bolt at the front of the tank. It is a LOT easier to remove the tank that way.

Einstein says high speed slows time, so go fast, stay young!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I love that pic Syank, I'd love to know where you got that...

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
679 Posts
two questions?

moto24- what issue was that, and is there anyway you can post that article.

2nd question, is do you completely remove the air injector valve?

thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
syank I think that this is the way the valve operates. What symptoms does the bike have when you leave this on? I have just installed a hindle system and I have the dynojet kit also. Sounds like I have the wrong kit, I ran it all last year with the slip-on with no problems. What's up with the dynojet kit

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I have the Factory Pro race kit on my 9R and it really smoothed out the throttle response.

<hr></blockquote>

Ditto, and this is with the stock pipe. (I had the carbwork done.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re:

cannot load the pic,so here goes the small hose goes to the carbs for engine vacuum, the valve goes between the reeds,the large hose goes back to the air box, I think that it sends crankcase pressure back to the carbs so the fumes are reburned through the engine ie: polution control.
/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
158 Posts
The article was from Sport Rider Oct. '99. Here's the dyno for the Akra.

Yes you can completly remove the Exhaust Air Injection System.

<font color=green>If your elbow isn't touching, what's the point in riding?</font color=green>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts