Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning the bike ('91 EX-500) last night I noticed three hoses hanging down. The bottom ends are not connected to anything. All three disappear up underneath the gas tank and I'll have to take off the tank and the front fairings to see where the go. Hoses are dry (nothing dripping out). Any ideas before I start pulling fairings off? Are these some run-off hoses for fluids? Something to maintain pressure in tanks/reservoirs?

BTW, bike runs fine and I asked a mechanic to look it over in general about 2 weeks ago when he did some other work on the bike. He didn't mention the hoses.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would say they are likely the drain hoses for the airbox. My old 6E had two drain hoses plus a fuel overflow drain hose as well.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
my mom used to say there's no such thing as a dumb question/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Ninja 500 (essentially a newer EX-500) and I just did the tune-up on so I know exactly where those hoses connect...and yes, they're nothing to worry about.

One is an vent hose for the battery, and the other is some kind of air intake (to equalize pressure?) that goes into the carbs.

They're both supposed to be unplugged, so everything's fine...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winko ~ Your mom obviously doesn't know me very well (that statement could be so wrong). /images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks, guys. I thought they were okay but I figured I'd check.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
On my 2000 EX500 there is deffinately one for Fuel Overflow. I have not seen two others.

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
On my 90 ex there are two gas tank vent hoses and the battery overflow hose.These are probably what you are seeing.

<font color=red>Whatcha doin?</font color=red> Chewin Chocolate<font color=red>Where'd you get it?</font color=red>doggie dropped it

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm pretty sure one of them goes to the high speed grizell pivot...spuirt a little oil in it and turn the bike upside down to allow it to lube the bearings. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts