Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up with the Supersport series of Ducati’s? All I ever see and hear about are the 749's and the 999 series. What are peoples thoughts on the SS? I was at their site and they said the SS800 will only be available in the US, I’m assuming the 1000 is available worldwide? What do these suckers cost? I love the looks of the bike but performance is a major question. What are popular comparisons to the Duc Supersports?

I didn’t want to post this in the Ducati forum because I’d like to hear a balanced argument on the bikes? Not just the “Ducs are the best.”

Thanks all.

· Registered
6,160 Posts
I really like the idea of the Ducati Supersport (and Monster) family series. The SS800 has a MSRP of $7,999 and I really think it's in a way comparable performance to a SV650, sorta. They weigh about the same, make about the same horsepower but the SS800 will have a little more torque down low. Obviously the big thing about the Supersports and Monsters is that they are air cooled and only have 2 valves per cylinder as opposed to 4 valves per cylinder like most other sportbikes. I've never ridden one so I can't say anything about how it feels, rides, handles ect. I think they'd be a good way to quasi "cheaply" get into the Ducati family, just in the sense that they're not as expensive as their 4v water cooled superbikes. I really think they'd be a good bike on the street where you really don't need 160rwhp anyway....if you're the type of rider who can have fun putting around down at sane speeds.

I know the supersport has a pretty rough ergo wise riding position, the monster has a more friendly one...I'm sure they'd be great to cruise around town on and in a way keep you in check, since they're not 125hp RC51s ect...I think the 800 makes low 70s rwhp and the 1000 makes mid 80s rwhp...but they're V-twins and they have that torque downlow while also being lighter than superhawks/SV1000s ect.

Theres a good article on motorcycle.com that you can find right here. It compares a SV650/Monster 800/XB9R...I dunno how fair they were as I haven't ridden the other two but they crap on the SV a good deal. You'll need to sign in "BlueYZFryder" as a screen name and "original" as a password. BWT the Monster and Supersports use the same engines and weigh almost the same. Heres a sportrider dyno with a couple pix of the SS1000.

Another SS1000 review on this site, not a direct link but click on "more reviews" under the "featured reviews" section on the home page

· eARRROOOOOGA
17,361 Posts
Pretty much what he said. The Super Sport uses the 2-valve motors like the Monsters. They don't have the high-end suspension and other goodies that X48's & X49's have. I've also heard the maintenance and such is a little cheaper on the 2-valvers. I have a 99 Monster 750 with 20,000 miles on it. The motor still performs great and I've had no reliability problems. Look around, you can find some really good deals on the SS bikes. The dealer here had a new '02 that his mechanic lowsided at a slow speed damaging the tank and plastic during a post-assembly test. His shop had put everything back in order (new tank, plastics & paint) ad he sold it for $5,200. Sometimes people buy them then upgrade a couple years later to the superbikes and sell for a good price.

JM

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I’d be considering a SS1000 if anything. All the Ducs around here are the superbikes 999's 999R’s etc. I like a bike that is different but still performs well. Still probably leaning towards another ZX-10R but will at the very least take a look at a SS1000. Any ideas on what a new one should cost?

EP that’s some great info up there. Thanks.

· Registered
6,160 Posts
Well the SS1000 came out in 2003 and they haven't made any changes since, 2002 and before they were 900cc. MSRP on a new SS1000 is $10,995, there doesn't seem to be as many Ducati dealers as jap brand dealers (less competition?) but theres still deals to be had out there. You could even keep an eye out for '03 and '04 leftovers. The Ducati dealership in Wichita, KS has a lot of leftovers, they even have a brand new never ridden '98 Monster 750....however they're a huge warehouse dealer (atleast 3 jap brands including their ducatis and other various non streetbike manf.) and their prices are no good (I recently saw one of their ads on cycletrader for a '98 CBR900RR and they were asking $6,500...I kid you not).

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went in a saw an older one today. I love how it feels and looks. I also like all the tasty bits on it, suspension, brakes, wheels. Nice!

However the 1000 is going to make 70hp and 45 ftlbs of torque. It's light a hell and looks cool but I'd be giving up half the performance specs for the same price as the 10R.

I might consider it when it comes in, but most likely not.

Thansk all for the advice.

· Registered
6,160 Posts
/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The 1000 will make 70hp and 45ft-lbs or torque? You must have those numbers confused for a SV650. :grin: The 1000 will make mid 80s and mid 60s torque, well just look at the sportrider graph above...that's a 1000DS motor found in the Monster 1000, Supersport 1000 and Multistrada 1000. I have not riding any Ducati so I can't comment on their performance or how they feel ect but obviously the SS1000 or M1000 will be giving up some performance to a ZX10R or other race replicas...but it's not always about track performance... :809028-ridin:

· Premium Member
31,207 Posts
When you put this post up I couldn't believe you were considering going from a ZX10 to a Ducati Supersport...they will be worlds apart in feel and performance. Did you say the SS is light as hell? :lol: From my experiences with Ducati they tend to be on the heavier side compared to the Japanese sport offerings. Stop by your local Ducati dealership and look into a demo ride on the 999, while they're in the middle of the Ducati Superbike Demo Days program, and see what you think of that compared to the ZX10. The riding position is still pretty committed but they've done some nice things to the bike to ease the pain on the rider.

Either way you go...good luck with your purchase.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
ENP83 said:
/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The 1000 will make 70hp and 45ft-lbs or torque?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope I have the 2005 Ducati model year catalog sitting right in front of me. There own specs put the SS1000 DS at 69.9 hp and 45ft-lbs torque. Page 76 of the new catalog. Weight wise they claim 396 dry.

It's so damn narrow that one of the reasons I like it. If it could put out 60ft-lbs of torque it would still be in the running. I can live without hp’s but I’m a big guy and I need torque.

Maybe I’ll get the Diesel bike making 250ft-lbs. To ba I have the feeling it’s going to be more than both a Duc and Kawi combined.

Thanks again for the info guys.

BTW I love the 999 series but I don't want to spend twenty grand on a liter bike. I have considered the 749 but it too is a little pricey.

· Registered
6,160 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
evander said:
[ QUOTE ]
ENP83 said:
/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The 1000 will make 70hp and 45ft-lbs or torque?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope I have the 2005 Ducati model year catalog sitting right in front of me. There own specs put the SS1000 DS at 69.9 hp and 45ft-lbs torque. Page 76 of the new catalog. Weight wise they claim 396 dry.

It's so damn narrow that one of the reasons I like it. If it could put out 60ft-lbs of torque it would still be in the running. I can live without hp’s but I’m a big guy and I need torque.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have some great news for you. Ducati USA website Click on that link, its a direct link to the '05 SS1000. Click on engine and you'll see they list the motor as making 69.9 KW (kilowatts) or 95 horsepower and 70ft-lbs of torque. Rock on. :grin: And Sportrider lists the SS1000 at 446lbs wet and the ZX10R at 436lbs wet. They're definately two different kinds of bikes, try to get a test ride any a Supersport or Monster with the 800 or 1000 motor.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn you ENP83 you’re an a$$.:flame: I had all but disqualified the Duc from consideration. You just had to go and be right. :808876-nono: I’m an idiot and can’t read kW.:808993-banghead: :808993-banghead: I can live with 70ft-lbs of torque.

Now I don’t know what bike to get! ARRRGHH!!!?!?!?! :808993-banghead: :808993-banghead:

The SS1000 DS the dealer is getting is the black with red rims. Damn it looks good. I can get a green ZX-10R, just like my last one OTD for $11,000 or the SS1000 DS for $12,000 OTD. I know it doesn’t scream like the Kawi, what does?:rolling: But I get Brembo brakes with ss brake lines, Marchesini aluminum wheels. Showa front forks. Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock. And it’s a bike you don’t see on the streets. :coolgleamA:

I’ve owned a Yami IT 100, Honda CR 250, Suzuki GSX-R 750, Kawi ZX-10R, is it time from me to go Italian? /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BTW thanks for the correct info. I'm such an idiot!

· Registered
6,382 Posts
Go for it you wont be disapointed . Maintance will cost you a little more but who cares . Why be trendy and get the 10 , just get the bike that you like the best .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.