Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys ever noticed the little drain hole on the bottom of your mirrors? Shine a flash light up there and you'll see a small set screw... Tighten that sucker down and your mirrors wont move!

But that's not the reason for my post... I'd like to know if anyone has ever removed the mirror itself from the black mirror housing. How do you disassemble the mirror?

I've seen pics of Duc mirrors where some guy drills 6 small holes for LED's and uses those for his front turn signals... he'll do the same for you if you send him your mirros and I think it was like $175 for his conversion...

I'm thinking of doing the same myself when I find the right type of micro lights...

But I need to know how to remove the mirror from the housing... anybody done it?

M.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
You can screw that puppy as tight as you want but my mirrors still buzz! Kinda trippy looking behind me at times see the whole world all shakey. /images/icons/crazy.gif

I've never disassembled the mirror before BUT I think I still have one of my old broken ones that I could try to take apart if you want. It should be on my office floor buried under misc. bike stuff and magazines.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You may want to check out MadFalco's Aprilia in that forum. I believe he installed the turn signasl in his mirrors….Nice!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, you been holding out on us? "Old" mirrors?

What and when did you get the new ones?

Thanks, I'll check out MadFalco's bike :)

M.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The same screw that you are speaking of is what you loosen to remove the glass. Loosen it as much as you can, then carefully pry out the glass piece. There is a ball on the back of the glass that sits in a joint in the mirror frame. The screw clamps the joint tighter around the ball. Just be careful when prying out the glass not to break it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're talkin about Troy, he did mine for $150 (including return shipping). I was considering doing it myself as well until I found out how much mirrors cost. I was afraid it would be a very costly mistake if I messed up. He's done them dozens of times so I thought it was worth it. I'm very happy with mine.

Loud Clutches Save Lives

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Mark, the mirrors are off my old 2000 748. Looks like you found your answer in the forum. To touch base on the cost of the mirrors...they are $90 a pop from DNA.

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Talking about mirrors, anyone seen the carbon Ducati mirrors on http://www.ducati.com?
They're for the SBk range, look pretty good!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Attached:

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Pimmie, I've held those mirrors in my hand at the local shop. They are really tiny, more so than the stockers. I wasn't really impressed with them.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I love the LED conversion into the mirrors, except for the exposed wires. I just can't get over it, so I just removed my front signals altogether. The bike looks much better without 'em, and bikes don't get hassled here for stuff like that (knock on wood). I make sure to use the appropriate arm signals when I can (really! trust me!).

Now if there was a way to integrate the signals into the upper corners of the headlights or a way to completly hide the wiring from the mirrors, I'd be sold!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny you should mention that about integrating the turn signals into the headlight buckets...

http://www.sportbikeguy.com has integrated some daytime running lamps into his R6 headlights... he's got the info in his "garage" section on his website.

There's got to be a way to do it, but would most likely involve drilling another hole in the magnesium headlight bucket... hmmm... that gives me an idea.

I'll check out the back of the head light assembly tonight to see how much room we have back there for a turn signal bulb in the upper/outside corner.

Shoudnt be hard. The only prob would be water proofing or sealing the turnsignal from the elements.

M.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm thinking of doing the same myself when I find the right type of micro lights...

<hr></blockquote>

kramrd,
I bought a bunch of high-output yellow LED's and did my rear turn signals. I bought 'em at this site...
http://www.theledlight.com/
Their packaged arrays are expensive (almost as ridiculously expensive as the guy offering to do mirrors for $200), but the loose LED packages are reasonable. Breadboards at Radio Shack are cheap!

2200 mcd (2.2 candela) is a lot of light for an LED with a 30 degree viewing angle, which works well for my bike. Generally the tradeoff for the wider viewing angle is lower light output. The 2200 mcd/30 deg angle seems like a good balance. From what I've seen on the front turn signal conversion the LED's are flush-mounted inside the mirror, which would limit the viewing angle of the LED's quite a lot, so if you go that route I'd recommend you go for the 8 degree/10,000 mcd LED's. You could practically light up the damn road with them. /images/icons/laugh.gif

BTW I like the headlight idea, but wonder how it's going to look with only one beam on at a time. Kinda like shining a flashlight at the sun, ain't it? /images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Desmo,

The minimum order for those 8degree 10,000mcd LED bulbs is 24 at 55cents ea.... total of about $13.20.

Yeah, that's a significant savings, but how do you wire them up? I'm guessing you'd need some kind of green computer board plastic and solder them in place... then how do you hook up the juice to them and wire them into your stock signals...

Getting beyond my realm of expertise here...

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doh, just saw you mentioned buying the "breadboards" at radio shack...

Yeah, I can get the lights and solder them into place on a breadboard... I like this idea, because I can make the bread board any size I want and arrange the LED's into any pattern I like as well...

But the hard part is knowing how to wire them up... how do you make the connections or solder the bulbs behind the breadboard? Then how/where do you solder the wires to the breadboard for hook up to the OEM connections?

Any chance you can describe this enough in detail or maybe take pics of your rear set?

Come to think of it, Radio Shack may also carry LEDs? I bet those nerds could probably tell me how to solder and wire things up, huh?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yeah, gimme some time to write it in detail... The wife wants me to take her shopping right now. I can feel my wallet thinning already. /images/icons/frown.gif Oh, and don't trust those geeks at Radio Crack. They're among the barely employable crowd you find at Burger King drive-thru's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts