Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going downhill on a road ive been on before and its not super steep or anything but you can gain some good speed going down. I decided to not waste gas since i was heading to the gas station so i pulled the clutch in and let it coast. Didnt notice until i tried to rev it and got no response so i looked down and the rpms read 0. Hit the starter and it started up again but i watched it for a few seconds and it died AGAIN. Let the clutch out and it push started but died again after i pulled the clutch in for a few seconds. This didnt occur when on flat ground so can someone tell me why this happened? I thought id done it before and didnt have that problem.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If you were so low on fuel that you felt the need to coast to the gas station, I'd guess that when going downhill the fuel sloshed to the front of the tank and let the fuel line suck air.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This has happened to me a few times...when you are coasting consiouscly look at your hand position (throttle hand). If you're putting too much weight on your right clip-on, this will roll your throttle further forward than designed, and can cause you to stall. Try coasting downhill with your hand off the right clip-on. And also check that your idle is correct, you may have it set too low.

<font color=red>vroom vroom</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It crossed my mind that it could have been the gas but when i checked there should have been enough to cover but possibly not. I wasnt in dire need of gas but just wanted to fuel up near the end of the day.

My idle is set to about 1400... i'll have to try taking my hand off the throttle.. dont remember if i did that or not. Seems more likely that the gas just flowed forward in the tank. Thanks!

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts