Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D\'oh!

Looks like my RS is going matte black soon, at least on the front lower fairings. Took them off the bike to get rid of the chrome RS graphics, and the stuff I used ate right through the paint in a matter of seconds. I was kicking myself for being so stupid. Didn't do the test run on the back or anything, just hit the whole RS graphics area with a nice coating, and while I went to get something to wipe the crap off, my paint started peeling and bubbling like the wicked witch of the west at a wet t-shirt contest. At least I got the adhesive off... I've tried everything on that crap, and nothing worked, until now. So I'm gonna do the fairing lowers matte black, see if I can live with it, and if so, once the g\f is done with law school in a year and cash abounds, I'll get the whole bike painted in a nice silver or something. If it looks horrible I'll suck it up and get the fairing lowers painted at a shop. Anyone know the paint code for a 2000 yellow sprint rs??

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: D\'oh!

Really sorry to hear that! Must have been some wicked stuff. As far as your paint code, I work at a BMW dealer and we have a super modern paint shop. I tried to get the mixing formula so I could have the rear hugger shot but it was not available through our data. He even called the Glasurit tech rep (BASF?) and couldn't get it. The painter tried to match it and did a fine job-until the clear coat went on. After 2 attempts, I finally gave up and he shot it matte black with clear. I'm sure the mixing formula is available but since the panels come color matched from Triumph, it might be hard to get. I have seen some RS panels on ebay from time to time. Maybe you can find at least one side cheaper than new. Good luck!

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching me!

·
Registered
189 Posts

OUCH! /images/icons/shocked.gif

There was a discussion about paint codes at t595.net a few weeks back. One of the guys posting over there did the research and came up with numbers for a lot of the colors. http://www.t595.net/

Just curious, what were you using that attacked your paint?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

That sucks. If I did that to my bike I would look into some of that color change paint.

“When the dogs are looking for their bones and it’s raining ice picks on your steel shores”

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

PEM, I used some aircraft brand graffiti remover. Its my own fault for not testing it out somewhere discrete first. I think I might try and find a body shop to re-paint it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

That sucks, although I like the matte finish look of Ducatis. That would look pretty good on a RS.

First rule of driving, what is behind me is not important!!

·
Registered
3,181 Posts

Flat black can look good. I needed to repaint my BMW a couple of years ago and I did it in flat black. The whole paint job cost me maybe $25. A pic is attached (The tank is shiny because I used clear engine paint for a clear coat on it, as it was more resistent to fuel spills).

-KeithU

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I like the flat black thing, but it just seems the bike is too young to be done like that. This is only my second season with it, and I've already wrecked her good looks. I'm gonna go get a few estimates at some body shops to see if I can get the panels painted for not too much. If not it may come to flat black, and maybe a nice silver or graphite next spring...

Nice old beemer Keith. My buddy has a 89 K75. Talk about a funky bike, it sounds like a hover car from the Jetsons when it runs, and the ride is pretty weird too. He has an electrical problem with it now, full of gremlins.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts

Thanks, yeah it was a fun old bike. Though actually, the electrical system was the one thing that never gave me trouble. I did have to replace the transmission at one point though, and the crankshaft main seal failed (just 10k miles after swapping the tranny, meaning I had to drop the tranny AGAIN). The bike has about 100k miles on it in that picture, BTW.

-KeithU

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Sorry about the mishap. I think a real nice flat black would look good, they you could repaint it down the line. What did you use?, so that others can avoid the same mistake.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
189 Posts

If you're still considering keeping the stock color, here's a couple of formulas claimed to match the Triumph yellows; maybe one will work for you:

Strontium Yellow - DuPont Stock Code: F7047

Pint Formula

845j - 92.8
846j - 96.6
807j - 99.1
1005s - 113.0
1009s - 121.6
1001s - 123.7
150k - 351.5
175k - 441.8

Lightning Yellow - DuPont Stock Code: F4877

Pint Formula

843j - 163.8
862j - 168.1
805j - 168.5
1005s - 176.7
150k - 412.9
175k - 442.9

Here's the source I'm quoting: http://www.t595.net/cm/messageboard/thread.asp?thread=2057

·
Registered
56 Posts

Oh, what a shame.
You mentioned silver. A bud of mine had a 1200 Bandit panted Ford Mustang Silver, almost a dead ringer to the Triumph Aluminum Silver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts