Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the roadracers I know do a lot of dirt riding for cross-training and technique building. Think about it... the best road racers were all pretty good or great dirt racers. You learn to be comfortable on the bike while it is getting squirlly, thereby avoiding the panic. Ever see the Hayden boys and how they push there road racer bikes into the turn - sliding as if they were dirt tracking? Simply amazing... and they learned it on the dirt.

With this in mind, I though it might be time to expand our discussions to dirt bikes. Feel free to discuss bike mods, techniques and how dirt riding has benefitted your street/race riding.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
I would like to take a second to thank Sportbikes.com member CURRIE954 for suggesting this new forum to us.

We really appreciate your imput into making this site even better for all of our members. :waytogo:

Thanks Jason!!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hey, cool! I suggested this back when we were esportbike.com, and the powers that be just kinda looked at me funny... Props to currie954! :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Great idea! :waytogo:

I know having grown up riding dirt bikes has helped me. When I first got on a sportbike it helped with the basic controls, etc. I actually hit a point when I thought dirt riding was hurting me as I was pushing the bike into turns(not trying to slide) rather than getting on the inside.

After some practice, few thousand miles and a few monthes I'm back to the point that the dirt tracking helps. Few times I've down shifted and let the clutch go a little to fast and had the rear end get loose on me. Habit kicked in and I didn't get excited, gave it some gas and rode it out. Even more recently I had the front slide on my ZX6 while coming in a little fast and hitting bumps. Again, dirt biking helped me as I instinctively unloaded weight from my front by letting go of the brakes.

In fact, sometimes, [censored] just happens and I know had it not been for the trees I've hit, the jumps I crashed on, the turns I slide wide on, all while dirt biking, saved my life on the street.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, riding in the dirt has saved me from a couple of wrecks too. Nothing like the rear kicking out when you hit a gravel patch around a blind corner, but riding in the dirt it's always like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for adding this. I started riding dirt when I was 8 yrs old. I did 2 years of desert racing and did quite well in the 125 beginner class. Since then, I have learned how to use your body to counterweight / countersteer, throttle control, and how to control wheelslide. These are just a few things I have used in the street. I have a 2004 YZ 250 2 stroke. I love the thing. I do MX and trail riding with it. It deffinitely helps skills on the street.

G

·
Hi! I'm a jackass who thinks it's ok to spam here. Please make sure not to click on any of the links I post as I probably have viruses imbedded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts