Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have it? What are your impressions? Costs? Problems?

It turns out I can get free programming (single receiver) through the company I work for, as long as I buy the dish and receiver.

As an IT guy, my preference is hard-wiring, which in this case means cable. I'd have to stay with cable for internet service, but if the DirecTV service is "good enough", I might be able to save a few $$$ off the cable bill.

Around here, Time Warner just bent us over for another $3 monthly. It's gone up at least $10 in the last 18 months. I know that's mostly due to the additional programming choices, HD/digital, etc., but I don't subscribe to any of that, so I'm not seeing any benefit for my added $$$. :808993-banghead:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Used to have it back in Idaho. Only problem I ever had was during a heavy storm, rain or snow, it could deteriorate the signal also sometimes snow could accumulate on the dish also hampering the signal.

My parents have four receivers in their new house. I love the menus. Ease of programming. You can even get Tivo in the receivers. I also got a break in costs by paying for the whole year at once. As for cost you need to check it out yourself. Do you want Speed? Premium channels? Etc.

I’d love to get it again but my apartment doesn’t have a unobstructed view in the direction needed.

I also like not being tied to a cable company.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Get a DirecTV DVR (TiVo). After waiting a year for the price to drop, to no avail, my wife got me their HD DVR. DirecTV has more channels than I really watch, but I could watch the HD channels all day. I haven't dropped cable, yet, but I'm really just waiting for the other receivers to get here, so I can yank my cable-based TiVos.

I don't know if you can do it through your company, but my only recommendation is to put some heavy pressure when you call to set it up. My wife got a $60 credit for the HD dish, $150 credit for the multiplexer (eight dish lines, with antenna signal piggybacked), two DirecTiVo receivers for $50, and free premium movie and HD channels for 6 months. They offer a free 3-room setup, with dish and installation, just for signing up. With your company picking up the service, I doubt you would have to spend anything.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I have directv for television and optimum online for internet. Couldnt be happier. However, it does depend a bit on where your home is geographically speaking. For directv to work well & have the fewest possible blackouts you need a fairly unonbstructed view south, so that your dish gets a clear signal. So if immediately south of your home are huge trees or a taller apartment building it can be sketchy. I have directv because cablevision doesnt carry Speed Channel and i cant go sans racing coverage. My directv very, very seldomly goes out during storms.

·
Registered
876 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
pudding7 said:
Get DirecTivo. Absolutely, hands down, the best thing you can do. :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 :waytogo:

Plus, NFL Sunday Ticket is the shiznit. Although being able to watch a full season of my Cleveland Browns can be a mixed blessing. :crazy:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
I have it, $40 plus taxes & PPV, I don't have any special packages (movie, sports etc.) just one up from the cheapest package. I've got an HD reciever for my TV & the picture is awesome. I've only had to clean snow from my dish once. Never had trouble in the rain ~

JM

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
I can only repeat what has been said. I have had the service since '97 and am 100% satisfied. I can also vouch for its reliability since we use DirecTV's MusicChoice for background music at work (on 6 days a week, 10 hours a day) and I could count on one hand the number of times weather has disrupted the signal in a year.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It all depends on your location and the package you want to have. If you are looking for premium channels, it can add up. The football sunday ticket is awesome on direct tv. I switched to comcast because it saved me money to have broadband and cable. The difference in the price of a high def receiver plus paying for the hd channels and a separate vendor for broadband was a lot more. I only regret the football package. View of the south unobstructed is a must. High def I cannot explain unless you have it or seen it. Combine it with a good sound system able to deliver digital sound, wow o wow

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I liked the service too, my only complaint is I have PIP on my big screen and like watching multiple channels when football is on. This didn't work with a dish, that combined with I didn't use the extra features and have 5 TV's in the house. It adds up when you use a lot of TV's with Direct TV.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Another vote for DirectTV. We initially got it when living onboard our boat in Key West--many marinas don't offer cable, and changing locations with the dish is a nonissue--as long as the dish is pointed in the right direction and you keep paying your bill, it doesn't make a d*mn bit of difference where you are (on a side note, no matter where you go, you'll always receive your home "local" channels--a marina full of dish TV equipped boats stacked together, and each one watching a different ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox affiliate; I guess it's nice to see the weather report from Chicago when you're wearing shorts and flip-flops in January in the Keys. :crazy:

Anyway, the girl liked DirectTV so much better than cable that when we moved back into a house, we stayed with the dish. I did move up to a larger dish--wanted a 24", but got a deal/steal on a 36"--because we had some issues with rain fade during some of Florida's monsoons, and now the signal strength meter stays pretty much pegged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts