Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup, it seems in addition to marchesini and blackstone... the original innovators of the "carbon wheel" (dymag) have not been asleep at the controls. they seem to have the SS 5 spoker first...? i checked with blackstone about why there was no picture on their site of theirs and they said it was forthcoming. well ya snooze, ya loose in this biz...!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Woo hoo! Now I can have carbon wheels on my VFR!! Hurray for Dymag! /images/icons/laugh.gif (before anyone jumps all over me, I've got a custom rear wheel spindle)

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not too shabby (as I wipe the drool off my chin). I need to get a single-sided swingarm on my 900 so I could really show these off.

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anybody know how they lay up the carbon fiber mat when making those wheels? Is it an automated process or are these hand-made to some extent? How about strength and quality testing of the finished wheel?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
CF wheels look cool as hell, but arent these intended for track use only... assuming tracks are gonna be relatively flat and free of pot holes and bumps?

How will CF wheels hold up for street use? With daily bumps in the road, I thought the CF may breakdown over time?

M.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The BST were designed for everyday use. In crash tests they help up better than Al or Mg wheels in everyway. The resin used is of high quality with UV protectant in the resin, with a clear coat. The wheels spec'd out to German and British standards... I'll have to dig up all the details for ya.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yo kram, actually from my understanding... in an ironic twist, the few people who actually have shelled out the dough for a set of full carbons aren't even allowed to run them on the track at a typical track day...!?!?!? i haven't taken the time to confirm this mind you, but how odd is that...? the impression i got was... (founded or unfounded) is that they were afraid of structural failures and the like so they were just "playing it safe"... :(

hey j... back in february, i got a return email by someone named terry anecke (not sure if i'm spelling the last name right?). at that time, they said the pictures were supposed be going up in a couple of weeks... i just checked the site as of today (4/4)... and they're still not there...??? and even at the motowheels site for the blackstone, they show a regular carbon wheel in the section for SS wheels...???

and btw, why are you (as a ducatisti) sittin' on them chumpies for 5 WEEKS...!?!?! come on bro... give us some pics of that single sided jobbie... stop bogartin'...!!! LOL you know, that's what every ducati owner wants to see... even if they merely own a 2-valver and don't yet have a 748 or 996...!!! :)

ooops and i almost forgot... i called down to superbike racing to check on price and availability here in the states and they said, they don't expect 'em for another 6 weeks... also, he didn't have a price as of yet, but he was sure that they were supposed to be almost a 1,000 bucks cheaper than the original 3-spokers...!!! :) but don't get so happy yet... 'cause that's still like 4 GRAND with the proprietary sprocket and cush drive...!!! lol

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

... even if they merely own a 2-valver and don't yet have a 748 or 996...!!!

<hr></blockquote>

Whatdya mean "<font color=red>merely</font color=red>" own a 2-valver??!?/images/icons/mad.gif

j/k/images/icons/wink.gif

I got the pics taken, but I'm having problems with the memory stick reader. (pos) I'll gettem up here this weekend. The BST will retail for $3k.. not bad comparitively!

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whooo...!!! a 1,000 "ducks" cheaper still for the BST's... no bad at all... :) gotta love the "beneficial effects" of competition to the consumer... LOL

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
$3000 Bucks for a set of CF wheels! DOH!

If I have that much spare cash, I'm buying used F4i to turn into a track bike!

M.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, sadly... they're certainly not an "every man's" wheel. when i was big into automobiles, it's strange that i wouldn't even have considered paying 3 G's for a set of 4 trick 18" BBS car wheels (with tires no less!), but now i am for less than half the kit...??? LOL

·
Registered
770 Posts

3 G's for a set of 4 trick 18" BBS car wheels (with tires no less!)

<hr></blockquote>

Not to get off thread, but does anyone here remember when you could get a decent set of mag wheels for your car without taking out a 2nd mortgage??? Keystone Klassics, ET black spokes, Cragar S/S or polished slotted??? (sigh)

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
189 Posts

Not to get off thread, but does anyone here remember when you could get a decent set of mag wheels for your car without taking out a 2nd mortgage??? Keystone Klassics, ET black spokes, Cragar S/S or polished slotted??? (sigh)

JoBu

<hr></blockquote>

You're dating yourself with that comment. /images/icons/wink.gif

But then, I suppose I'm dating myself for knowing what you're talking about. /images/icons/shocked.gif

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Will I NEED TO TAKE OUT ANOTHER HOME EQUITY LOAN (FIRST ONE TO BUY MY DUCATI) TO PAY FOR THIS MASTERPIECE?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

You're dating yourself with that comment.

<hr></blockquote>

I remember when Cragar's were the shiznit on Chevelles that were jacked up in the rear using Air Shocks! Those were the days of pre-rice and coolness!

M.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts