Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here has had much experience removing stock decals from the fairing, and/or gas tank. From my experience, the tank decals are under the clear coat, and can't really be removed. How about decals on the tail or fairing? Once they're removed, is there an impression left on the body work, or any other signs of removal?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
easy as pie. just get yourself some good ole heat from a hair dryer. a heat gun may be too hot for the paint. heat them up real good and they should peel right off. if you have a little left over glue, it can be removed with any decent orange type cleaner, goo-gone, wd-40, etc. once it's done you shouldn't see any evidence of the sticker in the paint.

as for the tank stickers, i believe that you're correct about them being under the clear coat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well your profile says you have a 95 ZX7R, if thats what your working on you will MAY have some paint fade due to sun exposure. I took some stickers of my 9 and heat actually made it worse because the glue just got really gooey and didnt wanna come of with the sticker and the ninja sticker in back had a silver backing that seperated from the sticker when heated. Remember though my bike is new so there was no fade and the stickers probably havent had time to lock on. Play it by ear...yours are probably hanging on for dear life by now!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I tried the hair dryer to heat mine up, but they peeled too, leaving the silver backing in place. I tried WD40, Fast Orange, and Rubbing Alcohol. All I got were sore arms and fingers. I finally resorted to Carb Cleaner sprayed onto a rag. This really removed the goo from the stickers. Afterwards I gave the newly uncovered painted area a good cleaing and waxing to remove any chemical residues. The carb cleaner won't hurt anything for short periods, but always try a test spot first.

As for paint fade, if the bike is too old, you most likely will have some, just depends on how well the bike was cared for as to how much fade will be present, paint behind stickers being like new.

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
257 Posts
Kn7671, That [email protected] silver backing pissed me off!! needless to say I didnt use heat on the other side and it came off much easier as I'm sure you found out also! I used the Kawi wipe down to get it off, I had to spray it on and leave it for about a half an hour and it finally disolved enough to wipe right off.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My Frankenstein is a 95 ZX7 and yes the Ninja logo on the tank is behind the clear coat. I just stripped the tank this Sunday, I watch the paint stripper eat the stickers up /images/icons/cool.gif man that stuff is mean, first the white, then some purple and finally that aZZ ugly pink! I wish they would have made is solid Kawi Green, what was up with the purple and pink crap?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info...actually I'm looking at getting a Green 2000 9R, all stock. I love the base color, but the decals I'd like to think about taking off. But of course, I don't want to ruin the finish at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Takes a little time.......I removed all my white decals of my previous bike (2KZX6R) and I'm in the process of removing the white decals from my 2K2zx9R....Used goof off or goo gone to remove stickey residue

·
Registered
170 Posts
as long as you don`t use a harsh chemical to remove the glue, on a new bike you will not know the decals were ever there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I removed the ugly teal ninja stickers from the tail of my 2001 9r and the paint was already faded. I had to have the tail piece painted as a result.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
i highly recommend sanding away the paint as opposed to layin some sick ass paint remover on it, my dad was a bodyman for 20 years...so i'll take his word on how it will change the end product once it's finally painted. he'd know better than me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your everyday hair dryer is the way to go. The sticky residue left over comes off easily with WD-40. Looks outstanding once off. Trust me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well there is plenty of suggestions here, and nothing anyone has suggested will cost much money. Get everything recommended here, and just try it, if it does not work, move to the next suggestion.

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

1 - 14 of 14 Posts