Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of a newbie, but not really. I been riding a Katana 600 I think 1996, and I know that bike has no power, so I have been planning to upgrade.

I wanted to get a hayubusa just b/c it looks so hard, and I like the look of it. But I don't want to get something to powerful, that it comes out from under me or throws me off the back. I've heard of some RR's throwing you off the back if you aren't prepared when it kicks in.

I want a bike that handles good, performs good, and I can move up with. I don't take corners at high speed, b/c I don't think I really know how, and I'm scared to take the chance. Plus that Katana is so heavy. I also looked at the GSKR 750 and 1000. My dealer has a 01 Haybusa on sale for 9900, but a 01 GSXr 750 for 8500. The GSXR 1000, and Honda 954 are at 10K range for 02. I want something price saavy (like the GSXr 750), but I also don't want to buy something that I'm going to regret in 6 mths when I'm riding better, and wish I bought something bigger.

Should I go ahead and get the Hayabusa, and just lay off power until I can work into it. Or should I get the 750, and hopefully in 5 months I'm not wishing I got the bigger one instead of wasting my money.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Get the 750, you won't regret it. Don't get the Hayabusa until you're ready for some kick-in-the-balls power.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Go with a 750. I doubt you will wish for a bigger bike after only 6 months (or 6 years/images/icons/laugh.gif). But really, we could all give you advice but in the end all the matters is what you want/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it was just my crappy Katana I had. (The purple and black) But that was my first bike, and the summer wasn't even over before I wished I had a more powerful one. I could barley pull a wheelie. Had to be at complete stop and rep it up to about 5k to get it pull.

So what about bike comparisons as far as GSXr, R1's, CBR's, etc. I know each brand kinda benefits different things better than others such as one seems to handle corners better, one is more stable racing bike, one is more comfortable for around town driving.

Also, what the differences between the low end power and high end. I don't want to have to bring it up to 6500 in order to pull a wheelie. I like to be able to be in low gear and roll the throttle to bring it up, unlike my katana when I had to clutch it and reb it up just to bring it up.

Thanks for repsonses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd probably go with the 750. I just bought a 600 for a first sports bike and I don't regret it at all. But if you really think you need power the 750 or 1000 will definetly have it. Not to mention the 750 is about 100lbs lighter than your katana and at least (i'd guess) 30 hp more. So it should be a lot more fun in the corners. I've heard the 1000s are kickbutt but the dealer I bought my 600 from said that of the 8 1000's they sold last year 6 of them have been totaled. I'm sure most of it was due to inexperience. But they sure could buck a guy off pretty easy if he had a brain fart for a second and forgot about what he was doing. I think a 750 or even a 600 would be a lot more forgiving. Especially if you're not good at curves yet.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Dude. file out your profile so we know a little about you. How long have you been riding for. If it's a real short time, a liter bike is the last thing that should be on your mind, or even the 750 for that matter...gotta learn to crawl before you walk.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know the extent of you riding skills, however I strongly suggest that you stay away from the busa until ready. And trust me you will know when that time comes. The busa is heavy as well, however it has Balls. I have over 15,000 miles on my busa and I am totally in love with it still. It is the best bike that I have ever owned. But you have to be able to control all the power.

Ken

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Any of the new 600's and especially the 750 will be a huge improvement in power and handling over the katana. You will loose comfort because the katana are a very comfortable bike. IF you are looking for a bike just to wheelie with (not the best idea IMO because this can get you in trouble fast) I would get a liter bike but if you get a new 600 or a 750 you will learn how much better and how much more fun corners are. At least for me I enjoy the corners alot more. Make sure you get some quality gear too and account that in for your spending.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I know how you feel about the Katana. I had 99' Katana for a couple of years and just upgraded to a 2001 Honda 600F4I. There is a tremendous difference in power between the two. I recommend getting a new 600 sportbike like the GSXR600, R6, or F4I or at the most the GSXR750. You will see a great big differnce between your Katana and any of these bikes. To wheelie my Katana I had to push my RPM's high up there not to mention leaning back a bit, plus I had problems with the rear wheel spinning. Not so on the F4I. The first time I wheelied it I almost flipped it because I was not expecting that much of a difference. Plus if your into the twisties you will appreciate a smaller bike.

RYDE OR DIE ! ! ! !

·
Registered
823 Posts
Going from a Katana to the GSXR750 will be quite an amusing jump in HP!!!

I'd say it depends what you want. The Busa is heavy but powerful. The GSXR750 is really light and powerful... Do you see where I'm going with this?

I am making the assumption that comfort isn't an issue because you didn't mention it. If you want comfort the Busa might be better. I picture the Busa as a touring bike with shitloads of HP. It's a monster!

"Ask not what your bike can do for you,
ask what you can do for your bike"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts