Sportbike Racing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
:shocked

Sorry, Keepup.
When someone takes away your feelings of trust that is the worst.

Everything go okay last night? I bet you ended up sleeping with one eye open.
No sleep. I opened all the windows and was outside every time I heard a noise. With everything else that is breaking or failing, plus work and officiating, this is the last thing I needed to deal with. I haven't gotten much sleep lately. Hi Kenny

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
How's things down your way? Having any issues due to Isaac? Hope you and yours are safe & sound.
Thanks :), all is well. No issues with Isaac--a little breeze and a bit of rain for a day or two. Contending with the mess surrounding the RNC on my daily commute was considerably more irksome, but even that only lasted the week.

Cruddy, good to "see" you--and congrats. :waytogo

KeepUp, that sucks. Speaking as someone who's had a bike stolen, and even came out ahead after the insurance settle-up: it's still not worth the heartache and hassle. Cameras aren't a bad idea, but, unless mounted in plain view to also serve as a visual deterrent they only document the activity for after-the-fact review. If you've got power available, motion-actuated lighting and/or a wireless alarm system may offer better bang for the buck. Even something like those wireless driveway monitors--$20 on sale at Harbor Freight--may help.

Some of the new(er) "smart" cameras and associated software have output triggers--e.g., for alarm/notification systems--based on motion sensing capabilities, but they can be rather pricey. And typical IR (low/no -light) cameras don't offer the best picture quality--i.e., you can see what happened, but identifying who exactly did it is another matter.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks :), all is well. No issues with Isaac--a little breeze and a bit of rain for a day or two. Contending with the mess surrounding the RNC on my daily commute was considerably more irksome, but even that only lasted the week.

Cruddy, good to "see" you--and congrats. :waytogo

KeepUp, that sucks. Speaking as someone who's had a bike stolen, and even came out ahead after the insurance settle-up: it's still not worth the heartache and hassle. Cameras aren't a bad idea, but, unless mounted in plain view to also serve as a visual deterrent they only document the activity for after-the-fact review. If you've got power available, motion-actuated lighting and/or a wireless alarm system may offer better bang for the buck. Even something like those wireless driveway monitors--$20 on sale at Harbor Freight--may help.

Some of the new(er) "smart" cameras and associated software have output triggers--e.g., for alarm/notification systems--based on motion sensing capabilities, but they can be rather pricey. And typical IR (low/no -light) cameras don't offer the best picture quality--i.e., you can see what happened, but identifying who exactly did it is another matter.
The system I have priced out has the motion sensing alarm/notification. In addition to that I will also be installing motion activated floodlights. I have already re-enforced the doors with four extra latches and locks. John's automated paintball turret is an interesting option, but I smell lawsuit if I install that thing.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Sunday morning ride on the updated 600RR bookended by shorter jaunts on the VFR Saturday and Monday. The very capable CBR is now even more so, and definitely the sporting thoroughbred of the "south" garage, but I swear that lightly-modded VFR may be just a cable-actuated clutch away from being the perfect (street) motorcycle. :smirk

Sunday also gave me the chance to catch up with some of the boys (Serp and co.) and learn of a motorcycle-torpedoing deer incident awhile back; I'll get more of the story this Sunday, but the box score stands at 2 totaled motorcycles (1200 Bandit and 1400 Concours), 2 sets of trashed protective gear, and 1 fibula broken in 3 places :crazy. 1 metal rod and 2 new bikes later, and everybody is back in the saddle with a story to tell. :smirk

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
Thanks South :) And good to "see" you as well :) All y'all, in fact. Hope life is treating everyone well.

It's just about time for us to do an ESB dirt reunion - that'd sure be fun. Next spring, meetup time! Street would be aok too. Need to kick south's tires enough to get him to come out and play again :)

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sunday also gave me the chance to catch up with some of the boys (Serp and co.) and learn of a motorcycle-torpedoing deer incident awhile back; I'll get more of the story this Sunday, but the box score stands at 2 totaled motorcycles (1200 Bandit and 1400 Concours), 2 sets of trashed protective gear, and 1 fibula broken in 3 places :crazy. 1 metal rod and 2 new bikes later, and everybody is back in the saddle with a story to tell. :smirk

:shocked :help

I think your friends might need some bubblewrap riding suits.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Does the Bandit mean that Serp was one of the victims? :crazy
Yep, Serp took the deer; the Concours took evasive action, but clipped the Bandit's rear tire and (also) went down.

:shocked :help

I think your friends might need some bubblewrap riding suits.
Yeah, they do ride pretty well geared-up, although between Serp's big crash of '97 and his advanced years, there's not a whole lot left to be harmed ;) :smirk. The Concours pilot, another "seasoned" rider, came away with the busted leg.

The Bandit's been replaced with a Triumph Bonneville; the Concours with a DR650--but that guy switches bikes all the time, so I fully expect the DR to be replaced by something more (open-)roadworthy when the time comes. :smirk

Serp's site--most recent crash description and pics at bottom of page

41 - 60 of 344 Posts