Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Fuzzy Galore: the Pied Piper of eSB, luring out all the old--or, shall we say "tenured" :smirk--posters and singlehandedly saving the forum from the crocheting club. ;)

Congrats on the nuptials; very happy for you both--kindly give Cruddy a slap on the back for me. :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
How's things down your way? Having any issues due to Isaac? Hope you and yours are safe & sound.
Thanks :), all is well. No issues with Isaac--a little breeze and a bit of rain for a day or two. Contending with the mess surrounding the RNC on my daily commute was considerably more irksome, but even that only lasted the week.

Cruddy, good to "see" you--and congrats. :waytogo

KeepUp, that sucks. Speaking as someone who's had a bike stolen, and even came out ahead after the insurance settle-up: it's still not worth the heartache and hassle. Cameras aren't a bad idea, but, unless mounted in plain view to also serve as a visual deterrent they only document the activity for after-the-fact review. If you've got power available, motion-actuated lighting and/or a wireless alarm system may offer better bang for the buck. Even something like those wireless driveway monitors--$20 on sale at Harbor Freight--may help.

Some of the new(er) "smart" cameras and associated software have output triggers--e.g., for alarm/notification systems--based on motion sensing capabilities, but they can be rather pricey. And typical IR (low/no -light) cameras don't offer the best picture quality--i.e., you can see what happened, but identifying who exactly did it is another matter.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Sunday morning ride on the updated 600RR bookended by shorter jaunts on the VFR Saturday and Monday. The very capable CBR is now even more so, and definitely the sporting thoroughbred of the "south" garage, but I swear that lightly-modded VFR may be just a cable-actuated clutch away from being the perfect (street) motorcycle. :smirk

Sunday also gave me the chance to catch up with some of the boys (Serp and co.) and learn of a motorcycle-torpedoing deer incident awhile back; I'll get more of the story this Sunday, but the box score stands at 2 totaled motorcycles (1200 Bandit and 1400 Concours), 2 sets of trashed protective gear, and 1 fibula broken in 3 places :crazy. 1 metal rod and 2 new bikes later, and everybody is back in the saddle with a story to tell. :smirk

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Does the Bandit mean that Serp was one of the victims? :crazy
Yep, Serp took the deer; the Concours took evasive action, but clipped the Bandit's rear tire and (also) went down.

:shocked :help

I think your friends might need some bubblewrap riding suits.
Yeah, they do ride pretty well geared-up, although between Serp's big crash of '97 and his advanced years, there's not a whole lot left to be harmed ;) :smirk. The Concours pilot, another "seasoned" rider, came away with the busted leg.

The Bandit's been replaced with a Triumph Bonneville; the Concours with a DR650--but that guy switches bikes all the time, so I fully expect the DR to be replaced by something more (open-)roadworthy when the time comes. :smirk

Serp's site--most recent crash description and pics at bottom of page

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Despite all my efforts (air pressure, suspension settings), Michelin Power Pures are *the* absolutely sh*ttiest tires I have ever experienced in two decades of sportbike riding. That Michelin would actually bring the tires to market is mind boggling (but I guess this explains the heavy sales discounts I've seen).

The Pures are a claimed 2 pounds lighter than the Powers, which apparently is achieved by making use of (only) 3 carcass plies instead of the 5 plies of the Powers. Consequently, in order to offset the carcass rigidity lost along with the 2 missing plies, Michelin stipulates higher recommended air pressures, and the (performance of the) tires are reportedly much more sensitive to changes in air pressure. Unfortunately, this "solution" doesn't seem to work, as evidenced by all the (numerous) reviews/reports of instability.

As mentioned, I certainly can't get them to work; the front offers *zero* confidence on turn-in--feels like it's going to tuck at any moment--and both front and rear suffer from a distinct lack of traction--the tires never feel planted, both ends give up without warning, and the pushes/slides aren't remotely predictable. And, of course, the tried-and-true fix of dropping air pressure to get them to stick/hook up only results in increased instability due to the lack of rigidity in the 3 ply carcass for a net zero gain. I've tried just bearing down and riding through all the unpleasantness--figuring the more they slide, the hotter they'll get, and the better they'll stick. Nope.

Nice waste of $260; I'll be dumping the Pures and mounting up some 2CTs as soon as I can get around to it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Sell them off to some stunter who will just burn 'em up in a parking lot.
Exactly :)--right up on CL as soon as I pull them off.

Jabby, I have always been a fan of Metzelers--rode and raced on their MeZ1s back in the day and have their Lasertecs on the CX--but have been very pleased with the Michelins since experiencing them as OEM equipment on the CBR. I've actually got a low-mile Power 2CT rear that I took off when mounting the Pures, so I really only need a new 2CT front for now; I do have a somewhat worn front (already mounted on a spare rim, as is the good rear) that I've considered just throwing on while I wait for the new front--despite the wear, it's guaranteed to be better than what's on the bike now. :smirk

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Sucks about the Pures - I had a new set of them that I passed on to the new owner of my 636 when I sold it so I had no experience with them. Surprised, honestly, I've really liked the Pilot line since the Power sports - and LOVE the Roads.

Side note - Fuzzy picked herself up a new ride :)

How cool is that; the Great Pumpkin rides again :). Forget DrD--a.k.a. Charlie Brown--I call shotgun :D.

As for the Pures, they're off and replaced with the 2CTs, and, just to illustrate how bad they were/are, the temporary, used front 2CT is actually the half-worn tire I pulled off the bike to mount fresh 2CTs for the eSB Deals Gap ride like, what, 4 years ago? It's been baking in the Florida heat up in the garage attic ever since. By the date code, the thing is 8 years old. And it's *still* worlds better than the new Pure it replaced :smirk.

The VFR has a date with some Pilot Roads when the (new) Conti Road Attacks it came with are done, so it's reassuring to know the Pures are an anomally in the Michelin line-up. FWIW, the Contis ain't half bad--although that assessment may be upgraded (or downgraded, for that matter) based on how long they last.

On an unrelated note, been wearing out the new(ish) first release by the Alabama Shakes; worth a listen for Brittany Howard's vocals alone.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
As a(n albeit non-native) Florida resident, I almost feel like I should apologize for the hurricane--like when your dog gets loose and causes havoc for the neighbors. :crazy

FWIW, I really dig the orange on the Ural. Pures are dismounted and ready for CL.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I was waiting to see if it'd go a full month without a post :smirk.

So, how's tricks in DrD-land? The new uber-Beemer still impressing? Got any projects and/or roadtrips planned? By all means, do tell. :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Wow, the site really is dead when no one posts up to show off/brag on their Xmas goodies. :smirk

You know, you think the benefit of owning multiple bikes is obvious--always have something to ride--but all within a couple days' time: dead battery on the 250 Ninja, exhaust baffle came loose and dropped inside the CX's exhaust, and the oil seal on the KLR's output shaft/drive sprocket started leaking. Couple all that with the Seca Turbo's need for new turbo seals, and my laziness in giving the CBR an oil change, and the reality of multiple bikes is shaping up more as always having something that needs work, rather than always having something to ride. :crazy

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
That, and of course, you need TIME to ride them. Nothing sadder than having a garage full of bikes you never get to ride.
What is this "ride them" of which you speak? :smirk

Had some nice, enjoyably unproductive downtime over the holidays, thanks to some delays in anticipated events, but now that I'm back at work, the stuff's come around and I'm jam packed. Should come out ahead in the end, but MotoGP in Austin in April is looking a little iffy. :crazy

Hope everything is fairly sorted and settled in the recently roughed-and-tumbled Northeast.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
How are things down south, South? :D
Well, for all the weather fetishists, I actually had to don a jacket to walk the dogs at 6am this morning--it got down to a brisk 58*F. Fortunately, back to 70+ by late morning.

As for the rest, somewhat of a lull on the motorcycle front; bit of a domestic reboot--which obviously came at a good time re the real estate market. The upshot is a whole new house project, albeit less house and a lot more garage--more than double, in fact, to somewhere in excess of 800 sq. ft. I'm pretty sure I can find a use for it. :smirk

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Don't know how much aesthetics comes into play, but in the past I've considered a pre-fab metal building/garage. There always seemed to be 3-4 used units on Craigslist for $3K-5K depending on size: 20x20, 20x30+. Things didn't look half bad: overhead garage doors, most were prewired and fully insulated. Biggest issues were/are pouring a slab for them to sit on, and having to to disassemble, move, and reassemble.

Oh I KNOW you can. We need to catch up on that project queue of yours. I keep letting life get in the way of friends and fun....gotta stop that.
Yes, "we" do ;). Just give me a little time to get set up and I'll be ready to roll. :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Side note - sold the 525 and picked up a '13 300xc-w with 13hrs from a guy down in Roanoke.
Why'd you decide to get rid of the 525? From what little I know of the bike/KTMs in general, my initial thoughts are either too much performance or too much maintenance dampening the fun factor. Then again, considering the replacement, perhaps some other reason. :smirk

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
If not for my intense dislike of the cold, I could absolutely do with a snow day or two to work on bikes--and pretty much everything else :smirk. As it happens, I've got a chain for the 250 Ninja on its way; fortunately, my ability to neglect/abuse the little commuter is slightly surpassed by its ability to absorb the neglect/abuse. I can't believe the chain (or, more accurately, my laziness re the chain)--it's been knackered for quite a few months now--hasn't caused me other issues. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil in the thing either, I suppose. :smirk

Crazy talk...
I believe you've already incriminated yourself, DrHusky. ;)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
No new sprockets; the original steel rear and +1 steel front fitted very early on show no real signs of wear after 45K miles. Hardly surprising given the complete lack of power/torque. IIRC, this will be chain #3. The OEM unit was shot after 11K; the DID replacement made it the rest of the way--and would've gone considerably further had I kept the thing properly lubed: no problem with stretch, the thing's just got (terminally) frozen links.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm no big fan of the 250; I appreciate its economy, and/but ride it solely to commute back and forth to work. When I get on the thing, I think "I really need to clean/lube the chain", and then the moment I park the bike, I blow it off/forget all about it. I keep up with oil changes and valve adjustments (and tires), but otherwise it's by no means babied. For me, this particular bike is just a tool--and more on the hammer end of the scale than on the precision-measuring-device end of the scale. And I'm OK with that. :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I feel your pain South.
Unfortunately, JM, even a bit more pain than I expected :smirk; I jumped on an ebay listing from Summit Racing for a new (old model) RK o-ring chain for $30 with free shipping, only to find upon arrival that it was--of course--NOT an o-ring chain :rolling. So, the price for cheaping out was another week of downtime waiting for the DID VX2 to arrive (still a decent deal at $70, free shipping). But, it's now done, and I like to think I'll stay on top of maintenance a(t least a) little better the time 'round. :smirk

On a more upbeat note, I've decided to shoe-horn in MotoGP in Austin next month. Only 1200 miles away; an easy 2 days (each way) for the VFR, and it's not like all the other stuff I could be doing for that week won't be here when I get back. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts