Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So, we should all get together for a ride sometime! It's a little late in the year to plan something now, but maybe for next year. It might take that long for some other posters to come around again anyhow.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So...last night while I was sound asleep after my first day back at work...someone tried to break into my barn and steal my motorcycle(s). There are clear tire tracks in my turf from the street, to my backyard, turned in a semi-circle, and backed up to the barn. The barn door has pry marks on it, and the restraining latch is almost completely pulled out from the doors. I talked to my neighbor who said he heard a loud noise last night around midnight, turned on the floodlight and looked into his backyard. There is a tall privacy fence between us, so he likely wouldn't have seen anyone in my yard unless he looked over the fence, but his floodlights certainly scared away the perps.

I backed up the pathfinder to the barn doors to temporarily secure the barn. After work I have a football game to officiate so I won't be able to do anything about it, but Saturday I am re-enforcing the barn and ordering a nightvision camera system for the entire home. I live in a good neighborhood. WTF?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
:shocked

Sorry, Keepup.
When someone takes away your feelings of trust that is the worst.

Everything go okay last night? I bet you ended up sleeping with one eye open.
No sleep. I opened all the windows and was outside every time I heard a noise. With everything else that is breaking or failing, plus work and officiating, this is the last thing I needed to deal with. I haven't gotten much sleep lately. Hi Kenny

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks :), all is well. No issues with Isaac--a little breeze and a bit of rain for a day or two. Contending with the mess surrounding the RNC on my daily commute was considerably more irksome, but even that only lasted the week.

Cruddy, good to "see" you--and congrats. :waytogo

KeepUp, that sucks. Speaking as someone who's had a bike stolen, and even came out ahead after the insurance settle-up: it's still not worth the heartache and hassle. Cameras aren't a bad idea, but, unless mounted in plain view to also serve as a visual deterrent they only document the activity for after-the-fact review. If you've got power available, motion-actuated lighting and/or a wireless alarm system may offer better bang for the buck. Even something like those wireless driveway monitors--$20 on sale at Harbor Freight--may help.

Some of the new(er) "smart" cameras and associated software have output triggers--e.g., for alarm/notification systems--based on motion sensing capabilities, but they can be rather pricey. And typical IR (low/no -light) cameras don't offer the best picture quality--i.e., you can see what happened, but identifying who exactly did it is another matter.
The system I have priced out has the motion sensing alarm/notification. In addition to that I will also be installing motion activated floodlights. I have already re-enforced the doors with four extra latches and locks. John's automated paintball turret is an interesting option, but I smell lawsuit if I install that thing.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think Russell calls the races okay...it's just his tone of voice that sets the mood. We need Eurosport commentators! LOL
Totally agree. Russell knows racing, and knows the tracks, but the tone and cadence of his voice is enough to put me to sleep. And if I hear him say "backin' it in" one more time, I'm going to lose my mind! the English announcers keep it exciting. I especially like Jonathan Green and Steve Martin. Even if they do exaggerate every action (brilliant, stunning maneuver!) it's one place where the English hyperbole is relevant.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Great final set of races in World Superbikes. Not the outcome I wanted but exciting none the less.

Two :bird :birdto Speed for interrupting the end of the race feed though with stupid Nascar coverage! Letter sent! :flame
I didn't even get that. I missed the entire race 2 due to technical difficulties. Had to read about it on the internet.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Technical difficulties from your cable provider or Speed specifically? That sucks. It was a pretty interesting race which left it all to the end. With the wrong person winning. :smirk
With my cable provider. I read the recap online, and it sounded like an interesting race. Congrats to Biaggi. I wanted Sykes to pull of the upset because he worked his arse off to earn it...the whole Kaw team did. But it is hard to not give credit where it is due. Good job Mad Max

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just wait until they all need tires at the same time. I keep checking back and posting but nobody ever comes back. Even the resident postwhores Duc and Zoey don't come back anymore.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
By the way, I got four books, some good cologne, a new Garmin, Motorcycle Gloves!, Bearcat gear, some bordeaux wine glasses, some knife sharpening stones, a Ruger LCP, the best spice cookies in the world, the Dark Knight Trilogy on Blu Ray, and a few good tools,

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The upshot is a whole new house project, albeit less house and a lot more garage--more than double, in fact, to somewhere in excess of 800 sq. ft. I'm pretty sure I can find a use for it. :smirk
This is where I am at a crossroads. I've only been in my house for almost five years, but I am desperately in need of more garage space. I will either have to move, or build a garage in the back yard. I am afraid building a garage will be cost prohibitive and I will not see a return when I sell the house, but I really don't want to go through the house buying process again so soon.

I think I'm going to put up the snowblower on craigslist too. After I factor in the time it takes to maintain it, start it, and move it from the barn to the garage, spread across the three or four snows we have a year, I would rather use a shovel. Plus I could really use the additional 27 cubic feet of storage.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If not for my intense dislike of the cold, I could absolutely do with a snow day or two to work on bikes--and pretty much everything else :smirk. As it happens, I've got a chain for the 250 Ninja on its way; fortunately, my ability to neglect/abuse the little commuter is slightly surpassed by its ability to absorb the neglect/abuse. I can't believe the chain (or, more accurately, my laziness re the chain)--it's been knackered for quite a few months now--hasn't caused me other issues. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil in the thing either, I suppose. :smirk

I believe you've already incriminated yourself, DrHusky. ;)
I share your intense dislike for the cold, but unfortunately don't have a choice considering I live in Ohio. It's snowing now. Even when it snows a foot or so we don't get these so-called "snow days." You should just change the oil every 10,000 miles or so. Also don't forget to replace the tires once you see cord, because they are the only thing that connects your bike to the road (hopefully.)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts