Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
I believe they have to do that due to the huge 300 size (or so) rear wheels.
Since there is such a huge offset, the primary drive belt can't go straight back to the rear sprocket. (wheel is wider than engine).
So, they run one from the crank to the second one, which is offset to the width of the rear wheel.
If that made any sense.

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
second: why a drive belt??

less problems with wear, if you don´t have high-perf-needs (just change the belt) easier to maintain, the look and, what i think the most important for most chrome-cruiser might be, no chain-smagma flying around.

/wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif further ideas??

btw: that first bike, the green one, is kinda seductive... wanna have one!!! :grin:

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
They also don't stretch as much as chains and a less chance of breaking (From what I've heard)

:smile:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I called my buddy (who owns a performance MC shop) and he said that it is supposed to be a performance mod as well. Using an internal final (chain) drive requires oil and a wet clutch. The belt does not. Also, he said a lot of guys get that to look cooler.

:grin:

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
As someone already said, the primary (the 3" on in the picture) is from the crank to the tranny. Unlike japanese bikes, HD Vtwins and the clones (S&S, Rev-tech, etc) do not have intregral trannies like you japanese and euro sportbikes. HD transmissions are separate from the engine. Meaning which if you screw a gear in a HD tranny, its gonna be ALOT cheaper to fix than any sportbike tranny will ever be (no splitting the cases). Stock primaries are chain driven and have its own oil. The 3" primary belt drives are designed for teh high torque motors that could tear a single chain driven primary to pices. Also the dry clutch setup is a bit more durable with them.

As for the secondary belt drives (tranny to rim), belts are quieter than chains, more durable and less maintanance. Yes they can break, but its not common. Big drawback is to chainge rear pulleys you more than likey have to change belts too.

And belt drive has nothing to do with using a 300 size tire. Thats done by offsetting the tranny mount plate and/or moving the motor left in the chassis (which is why right drive trannies are becoming popular since you can put the motor back in the center of the frame and still get clearance for the 300 tires).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Man, I can appreciate (somewhat) the imagination & execution of building a bike like that, but they're SO FUGGING UGLY it behooves me as to WHY anyone would want to TRY and ride one of those eyesores. Besides the fact that they handle like a wheelbarrow full of fat chicks with a flat tire being pushed by a blind man with one wooden leg! :lol: :bawling: I guess beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
9'srwildmfka said:
...Besides the fact that they handle like a wheelbarrow full of fat chicks with a flat tire being pushed by a blind man with one wooden leg! :lol: :bawling:...

[/ QUOTE ]

They're only that good if you really know how to dial them in. :wink:

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
9'srwildmfka said:
Man, I can appreciate (somewhat) the imagination & execution of building a bike like that, but they're SO FUGGING UGLY it behooves me as to WHY anyone would want to TRY and ride one of those eyesores. Besides the fact that they handle like a wheelbarrow full of fat chicks with a flat tire being pushed by a blind man with one wooden leg! :lol: :bawling: I guess beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the creator admits that the bikes handle poorly - I'd hazard a guess to compare it to manoevering a beached whale.

But I find these custom bikes to be VERY pleasing on the eye - everything flows. Whereas the chopper style looks awkward and incomplete; these look full like everything went together.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.