Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 mille, 550 miles on it. I checked the rear cush drive nuts....1 was tight, 3 I could spin with my fingers. I tried to tighten the 3 that i could spin with my fingers and they just spin and spin!! there isn't anything to keep them from spinning...the stud that comes out of the rear wheel it is just spinning with the nut!!!! Like I said only 1 is tight, 3 keep spinning with my fingers, and the 4th, it spins with about 15ftlbs on it, and it keeps spinning and spinning.....What is the tightening procedure and how much ftlbs....I don't see how to keep the studs from spinning in the wheel??? Or do I have to take the wheel off and then will the whole cush drive come out, that way I can get to the back of the studs/bolts whatever they are. If someone could look up in there service manual and tell me. I would also definately suggest you go out real quick with 17mm wrench and see if yours are loose. Let me know what turns out...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
You have to take the cush drive out and put a wrench on the stud to hold it. I would take a pic to show you but I am NOT pulling my back wheel at 12:30am /images/icons/laugh.gif. If you pull the cush drive it will be very apparent. Just behind the sprocket, the stud can be gripped with a wrench. You may need to use a thin one as there isn't much room between the rubber and the sprocket. I think I wound up using an adjustable crescent wrench as all my other ones were too thick. I never checked, but those thin tools that come in the tool kit just might work.

When I changed my sprocket none of them were loose, in fact they were on there very tight. I dug a nice hole in my palm trying to juggle the cush drive, sprocket and two wrenches while trying to loosen them /images/icons/laugh.gif. The torque specs are 50NM or 36.8 lb/ft. I got those specs off the apriliaforum.com technical page. They claim the specs are from an "un-offical" US service manual and to use at own risk etc, but I don't see 37ft/lbs doing any damage to those studs. I tightened mine without a torque wrench and knowing me I am sure I put alot more than that.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/techtips/1000/torquespec.htm

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts