Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for good prices on sending my swingarm and other parts out to get dipped or polished...Give me some good sites and prices!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
don't have any names, but you might want to try asking a Harley Davidson shop. I know riders who have sent things out through them.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You might want to polish rather than chrome...Chromeing all of that is going to add a LOT of weight to the bike..

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you have to get it plated go Nickel not chrome - there's a guy who does wheels in Melbourne (that's here in Australia) and they look the business when they're done.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
chrome plating causes the part to become brittle. Don't chrome plate stressed parts.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Call 411 and ask for Columbus Ohio. Ask for a place called "Iron Pony"...They can have it done. Pretty cheap, too.

Take it to the streets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chrome plating will add approximately .00025/.0005 lb to each sq.in. of surface area plated. You would add somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 lb to the weight of the swing arm (if I guessed correctly on the size). Also Shotimer could you explain how chrome plating causes parts to be come brittle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had parts chromed and polished and chromed is the way to go!! With polishing, the you have to worry about the elements so there's the upkeep labor. Trust me, polishing foot peg brackets are no fun. With chrome, just spray it with a little glass cleaner, and wipe it off. As for the brittle thing, chroming does not make the part itself brittle, it just that the chrome plating is not real flexible, as long as your not plating any ss lines, you'll be OK. I've had three bikes with chroming with no problems. I even have my shock spring chromed (check attachment). As long as you find a reputable shop, you should be OK. An contrary to popular belief, chroming does not add a lot of weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts