Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a couple quirks on my RS that I'm wondering about. Not really problems but things I'm curious about. Rather than ask the dealer about nit-picky stuff, I thought I'd post the questions here. First off, I have noticed a resonant vibration/noise/buzz around 3000 RPM. Kind of like the noise and feeling you would get with a car that had an exhaust heat shield buzz. Initial inspection hasn't revealed anything loose but I haven't chased it extensively yet. My thought is that it might just be a characteristic of the bike, maybe exhaust resonance since I see the brace welded across the head pipes close to the engine. Whatever it is, it is definitely in the same RPM range and not speed related. I can get it in neutral. Second, I missed a shift last week and got a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Since then I have had it happen again once by accident and two or three times when I was "lazy shifting" to see if I could get to occur regularly. Sorry about the long post. BTW, I have a whopping 1600 miles on it now. Any ideas or thoughts?

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching me!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I dont know much about the first problem, but regarding the false neutrals, I had them when I was first breaking in the engine. It dissapated as I got more miles on my engine. But to note Triumphs require direct shifting, no lazy stuff.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I don't notice any vibration at 3000 rpm. Do you hear it or feel it? Since I got the preformance tune twelve, which fixed a dead sport in the power band right at 3000 or so after I put on the 2 bros pipe. It is still pretty life less below 2000, worse with the two bros pipe and preformance tune then with out. Has a bit more punch from 4k and upt though.

As for false nutrals I have found a few, one between 2 and 3 that I have hit a number of times at the track. Got make sure shift firmly when hitting the mid point of the strait or the gixxer gets away /images/icons/wink.gif. Very rarley hit it but there is one high up in the gears, don't know where though. I have 15,000 on my RS now and I 10,000 or so miles planned for this summer /images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
I had a false neutral or two when breaking in my bike too.

Try Triumph

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. As far as the "buzz" both feel and
hear it, although it's not earth shattering. I thought initially it was end play in the electric cooling fan but decided that was not it. I thumped around the tire and under frame with a rubber mallet but all I could hear was the springs holding the can to the pipe. I might put the stock can back on just to test and make sure it's not a characteristic I've created with the pipe change. If the general opinion is that this is not common, I'll chase it on my own. My dealer is the best, but I wouldn't complain on something like this. I don't want to be perceived as a warranty sniveler. I'll save my sniveling in case I need it for a big issue. Besides, I don't want other ham fisted hands on my bike unless it really becomes necessary! ;-).

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
you should snivel, you paid for that warranty my friend./images/icons/wink.gif
and you will miss it when it's gone.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I am with speedtrip, If you have a problem, take care of it. Shame to have it worsen in a year or two and have to pay out of your own pocket!

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't agree more! I am absolutely meticulous about my machines. Taken care of by the dealer or by myself, either way it needs to be taken care of...IF...(and back to the original question) this seems abnormal and really is an issue. I know it's hard to get a feel for the situation when the bike's not there to ride, hear, feel, etc. Basically looking for input. The other thing I didn't mention prior is this is not a sudden condition. If it was, I'd not have posted. Just wondering if anybody thought this sounded familiar or not. Thanks again for all your inputs!

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same '00 RS w/ the same vibration. It only lasts for about 300 rpm. I think it's just a small vibration that naturally occurs in the engine. Compared to other engines out there it seems small, at a low enuf engine speed that it's not a constant problem and occurs over a pretty small engine speed range that I don't worry about it.

As far as missing shifts, I've probably missed less than half a dozen in 5,000 miles. My BMW K75 missed one a ride. Check that your clutch cable is adjusted properly - tight enuf so that you have just a tiny (0.5 mm) amount of free play between handle and handle assembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 01 RS, and also have the resonance that you are talking about. It appears very low in the rev range (2500 to 3000) and only when the throttle is opened. I am not really worried about it as it means I am lazy and should have gone back a gear! I have had it from day 1, with both the standard pipe and the triumph carbon can.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES!!! That's the one! I did find the "buzz" part of it after spending a little more time checking it out. The core of my Two Bros pipe had become loose and was vibrating inside. The pipe was a takeoff from WildRS's bike after he sent it to Triumph heaven so it wasn't new when I put it on. After a little judicious reshaping of the inner core, all is well again. Funny little vibration is there if you're looking for it but no accompanying buzz to highlight it. I figured it was a characteristic of the bike but glad to have the confirmation. Thanks to all who took the time to post!

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If that does not solve the problem, I have a Two Bros Titanium with less then 200 miles on it. It has a small dent near the front bracket, hard to notice. I would sell it for $100.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got in about 20 miles yesterday before the monsoons hit and refitting the core on the pipe fixed the part of the vibration I was noticing. Still the little phasing vibration at that certain RPM range but so small it's not noticible (unless the freakin' can is rattling-D'oh!). Anyway, at the risk of dumping good oil, I decided to throw in an extra oil service at 1500 mi. since the engine is so young. At 600 miles I changed it using the Mobil 10-40 MX4T which is what the dealer recommended. After reading WildRS's "oil" post about his experience I went to the Triumph 4T oil. A huge noticible difference in shifting! Thanks again for all who post. It's great to be able to draft off other's experience.

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts