Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here but I am not a new Kawi rider. I have owned 2 ZX9R's and a ZX7R. My last 9R was totaled in a wreck 2 years ago this coming March. What are your opinions on the 10R? I have talked to several dealers already and am going to look at some of the 05's next week. I live in Ohio so this is the off season for me so I am looking to buy in the next month or 2. I was also wondering if I should get a full system and PCIII or just leave it stock. I will be doing at least one maybe two track days this summer. Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It's fun bike; very lightweight and very powerful. I rode an 03 6rr and it felt - i.e. handled - almost exactly the same. Ergos are a little rough on the writsts after a few hours, and the butt gets sore, but the seat is way more comfy than the rock they have on the R1.

Personally, I never understand why anybody who doesn't need to be in a serious race with liter-class bikes does any hp mods to this thing. Popular is the thin head gasket, full pipe, pc3, front sprocket -1, blah blah blah...

·
Registered
99 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
mach_man said:
This is my first post here but I am not a new Kawi rider. I have owned 2 ZX9R's and a ZX7R. My last 9R was totaled in a wreck 2 years ago this coming March. What are your opinions on the 10R? I have talked to several dealers already and am going to look at some of the 05's next week. I live in Ohio so this is the off season for me so I am looking to buy in the next month or 2. I was also wondering if I should get a full system and PCIII or just leave it stock. I will be doing at least one maybe two track days this summer. Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an incredible machine you will not be sorry! Get the 05 as it won't be much more$ and it's 1 year newer! The new 05 6R has 119 HP at the rear wheel!!!!!!! Might be fun too!! :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I currently have a 99 ZX-9R, a 2000 R6, and a '05 R1 with 11 miles on it.

I've ridden my friends ZX-10 a couple times and it felt VERY different than the ZX-9. With the 9, it seems like you sit down in the bike...my guess is the gas tank is rather high, the bars are rather high, and the footpegs are down and forward a bit...on the 10 it felt like I was sitting ON the top of the bike. Like it felt very tall. Maybe once I got used to the ergos it would have seemed natural, but it was just strange.

VERY torquey...first time in years that I pulled the trigger coming out of a corner and felt like I wasn't going to slow down in time for the next one (the bike was geared 1 down in front and 2 up in the rear).

I went with the R1 mainly on looks as both bikes are so close on overall performance.

The 10 would be a great bike but expect a little bit of a teething period if you're really used to the 9R.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

Niner...I am not really used to the 9 anymore as I have not ridden in almost 2 years because of and accident. However, I had my 9 geared at -1 and +2. Man, talking about waking up that thing! I am going to leave the bike stock when I get it. I may change to a full exhaust, PCIII and a custom map after the first year, but we will see. I plan on attending several track days this coming summer so I can get a real good feel for the bike and get the suspension set up. I tiook me almost 3 moths of tweaking my 9 before I got it exactly where I wanted it!

Happy Holidays!

·
eSpellinbeechampyun
6,773 Posts
Yeah, I'm moving up 2 a 10 this year as well, going to try to fing a good price on a left over 04 because I want blue, and I'm not planning on selling it for a long time so screw how new it is :grin: Also had a ZX-9 for a while, but my last bike was a 7R, so I'm going to have to get used to having a buttload more power. I'm going to pipe it as well (can't stand the sound of a stock bike :wink:), but that's where the power increases will stop until I get used to it. Can't wait to get to Deal's Gap this summer!!! :applause:

·
eSpellinbeechampyun
6,773 Posts
Yeah, there are left-overs... Kawasaki sold out of 10R's, but the dealers didn't. My local dealer here has a blue one left sitting in his showroom. But he doesn't like to come down on his prices, so I'm going to have to shop around a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts