Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I fixed the 9R, but I'm still thinking of upgrading to a new bike. The old girl has 24K miles, and I think it's about time for a change. I took a look at the '05 Z1000 today at the dealer, and I really liked it. Great looking, good engine (from what I hear), etc. Not to mention the fact that it's not too tall for me! Are there any Z1000 owners out there with opinions? Anyone else ridden one? The dealers out here are seriously anal about test-rides, so I think that may be out of the question...I appricate any and all info..

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I don't own one but my buddy has an 04. He loves it. No problems and a load of miles racked up on it. It's not a "sportbike" doesn't handle or drive like one. But he alway has a huge smile when he gets off of it. Take it for what it's worth he can spend a long time in the saddle.

I'm also trying to talk another friend of mine into the Z750.

Everything I know about both bikes is good. :2cents:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless you are a track-day guy, get the Z1000. Great bike and dirt cheap right now. I got an O4 red one for 7k out the door. Unless you are really in a hurry, sell the 9R rather than trade in. Don't expect it to be as fast as your 9R; mine feels about as fast as my 636 was, which by the way is plenty. However the Z1000 will likely be very responsive to a pipe and fuel tweaking, as you can read on this and other forums. It's also a unique-looking bike..nothing in it's price range looks as cool. I get a lot of people looking at mine and approaching with comments, which 90% of are positive. :grin: That never happened with my generic crotch rocket. I was sold on the Z after a summer of mountain riding and watching guys on SV 650's and other "lesser" bikes run with the fastest guys on their supersports. When riding season returns I have a feeling I'll be just fine on the Z in the curves. Oh, has anybody seen the Two Bros Xmetal slip-ons? Those are the ones I want caus' they will turn amber to match the head and S-bend. :grin:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a green '04 and think its a great bike. Suspension is a little soft but it kinda make it more fun to ride in a way. A full system w Powercommander and some dyno work will get you in the high 130 HP. Some guys on another forum say the front comes up super easy after this mod. The sensation of speed on this bike is also greater due to the abscence of a fairing so if your looking for fun without doing 100+ this is the bike. check out Z1000.net for more opinions on their forums. Among all the naked bike out right now the zed is the best bang for the buck stock bike. tuono has better components, suspension but is around $12000. MV Brutale beautiful but even the base model is 12K. Speed triple comes close in price but seems a bit underpowered stock '04s that is.SV1000 heard it was boring. etc.

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
I think its a great bike! I got one for daily riding and really like it. I agree with he statement about best bang for the buck, the Tuono IS a better naked sportbike but is it $5000 better?? I cant answer that

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now the only thing that's stopping me is selling my bike (which is going to be painful....I love that old girl!) And the fact that they do NOT offer a green version for 2005. It'll be hard to buy a SILVER Kawasaki.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may be waffling on the bike choice here. I got to ride my friend's ZX-10R for a dozen miles or so yesterday. I must say it's a totally different experience than the 9R!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'd more likely get a ZX-10R, get about 3 speeding tickets before the engine was even broken in, then have to sell it because I wouldn't be insured anymore. :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts