Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i go outside this morning and everything outside is covered in frost. i go to start my bike just to see if it would start and it wouldnt, it would just make the sound like it was trying to turn over. after it warmed up outside it started but it had a little trouble turning over. anyone know of any problems that could be caused by leaving a bike out in the cold during the winter?? i live on the coast of north carolina and it doesnt get as cold as most places but i still think i am going to put the bike in the kitchen for the winter. not to mention that i just got it painted so thats another reason to put it in the house. does anyone else store their in say.....their kitchen, living room, or in the house at all??

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Get a new battery and you're fine, I guess.
I never had any problems with the starter. down to -10degrees Celsius.

The engine wouldn't start once so I tried to warm it up with my hands :lol: - it was just after midnight and I missed my last train home, so the bike was the only way to go.
And the engine did start then :waytogo:
Later I found out I just didn't push the starter button long enough.

Now I just open the choke fully, and press the starter- for up to 10 secs.
If the bike hasn't started by then, wait for half a minute with your next try, or you might overload the battery.

What could also help (if you have trouble with it not firing up, so not with the E-Starter) are new sparkplugs, the ones that have a larger spark. There are some available that don't have a pin but circular anodes/cathodes and have a way larger spark.

G

·
it's not good to force a starter to turn over by holding the ignition open for more than 5 seconds. That is jus using the stater for more than that time, or the recommended time for your bike. It will burn the starter up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
JonNyRiNgO said:
anyone know of any problems that could be caused by leaving a bike out in the cold during the winter?? i live on the coast of north carolina

[/ QUOTE ]
What weight of oil are you using? 20w-50? At freezing temperatures, that weight oil gets mighty thick - like honey. It's likely the bike wouldn't turn over because the starter/battery wasn't strong enough to work until the oil warmed up enough to flow better. There's a reason we Yankees put 5w-30 in our engines during the winter...

·
Registered
439 Posts
If it doesn't make any sound at all, maybe it's a fuse? If it's clicking, maybe the voltage regulator? Or is it in gear, and the sidestand switch is disabling the ignition? Need more info!

·
Registered
317 Posts
The first winter I had my bike I couldn't get the thing started to save my life. It really sucked when I rode to school and was getting out of my late class at 8pm and couldn't get my bike started to get home. I had my choke pulled all the way out every time too. I didn't find out till spring that my choke cable was stretched causing my choke not to work. So just make sure you choke is working also.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
JonNyRiNgO said:
as far as my bike is concerned its not the battery because since it has warmed up here in the past few days it starts and runs with no problems at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't mean the battery is ok. It could be borderline faulty.

If you hadn't used the bike for a few weeks it could be that it just needed a recharge. It could also be that there's a faulty connection between the battery and the starter, either positive or ground.

High viscosity engine oil will cause slow cranking, but shouldn't prevent it from cranking at all.

It could also be a combination of the above factors.

Faulty choke cables, spark plugs, and sidestand switches will not cause the symptoms you describe, nor will a faulty voltage regulator if the battery is fully charged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.