Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that many ZX12R owners change their clutch springs to the springs from a ZX6R. Is this done to the stock clutch? If so is it done for track only? My clutch seems fine but I wouldn't mind it if it can be better. And last question, how hard is it to change those springs? I've never done any clutch work before but I'm mechanically inclined (so far anyway). I do have the service manual to follow.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Replacing clutch springs is a snap but if your clutch works fine why bother?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Lou, the guys that I've seen do it I think are doing it because they believe it's giving them a stiffer clutch. ie....more spring pressure.

I can't confirm or deny the pressure difference, but would love to measure one of each!

Would it make you feel better to tell you that I have 7000 miles on my bike, and it runs 9.3 at 151mph with the stock, original springs? /images/icons/smile.gif

U know me, stock tire, stock arm, stock engine...just the pipe, front sprocket and PCIIIR.

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BigAl, Serp, I was just enquiring because of all the drawbacks that the ZX12R has with its stock clutch. So far I've put 7000 miles on the bike and it's been fine. I even had the dealer drillout the clutch basket to allow more oil through in order to quite it down. I Don't run the 1/4, just street so I probably will not benefit from a stiffer clutch but I was tring to avoid a potential problem If I could in the future. So far my bike is practically stock. At 10,000 miles I hope to change the sprockets (18F,44R), braided break line, New clutch, and hopefully NOS. thanks for the replies, I can always count on good info here.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
ZX12R plus NOS = the suicide solution./images/icons/smile.gif/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Serp, thankx for caring. I probably wouldn't get a lot of use out of it but it is something that I want. A small shot around 25 would do me fine once I change my sprockets to 18/44. I will only do this after I reach 10K or 11K miles and I have the valves checked. This way I have a refrence point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts