Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i hit above 85mph the bike starts to jerk and I hear a clunk. Is my clutch slipping? I don't have any other problems in any other gear or at any other speed. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it did it before the tire change. I don't know what it is. I tightened my chain also after the swap but it still does it. It is like something is catching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
possible tranny prob , 5 and 6 are prone to damage since 1 and 2 engage them

[/ QUOTE ]When I got on it this morning it was making a rattle noise in neutral, just ideling. Could it be my flywheel maybe broke a tooth?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I lost third gear in my 99-9R. It turned out that it is a manufacturing/design issue and the dog engagement when in 3rd gear isn't adequate to keep the gears engaged after they get slightly rounded.

If this is the issue, it will get worse over time until you can't get it into 3rd at all. I had to send my gearbox off and had to replace shift forks and all. It was a chore, but I haven't missed a gear since.

If you start to have real issues getting it into gear, don't force it..you'll just bend the forks and fork rods and that will cost you more $$$. :bawling:

Hope this isn't your problem...It was a LOT of work and took about 5 months to get my gearbox back.

P.S. The first manifestation of the issue was when hard on the throttle I would hear the engine rpm come up as the bike stopped pulling and then a clunk and the engine would start to pull (gear disengaging and re-engaging). Kind of felt like the clutch was slipping until the clunk/bang.

When hard on the throttle it was a pretty violent event.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Your bike will run 85+ mph in any of the top 3-4 gears (3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th). Try it in the different gears and see if the problem shows up in all gears or just 1 gear (I'm assuming that so far you've been in 6th gear when you've noticed the problem). That'll help diagnose whether or not it's a transmission issue.

I'd also check the steering head and particularily the swingarm/swingarm pivot for any problems.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
What gear is this happening in , i noticed you didnt post any specific gear , if its second which im ganna bet my money on , its ganna be the engagement dogs and under the right load it slips out and back into gear . If this is the prob it will only get worse . If this is the prob you will be replacing the shift drum , 2nd gear shift fork , and possible second and 6th gear . Also if it is the prob pull the gear set out and sent it off to get backcut , that will fix the prob and keep it from happening again. Before they backcut the gears they will magnaflux all the gears and check for cracks, then replace any bad gears before the cutting

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:
What gear is this happening in , i noticed you didnt post any specific gear , if its second which im ganna bet my money on , its ganna be the engagement dogs and under the right load it slips out and back into gear . If this is the prob it will only get worse . If this is the prob you will be replacing the shift drum , 2nd gear shift fork , and possible second and 6th gear . Also if it is the prob pull the gear set out and sent it off to get backcut , that will fix the prob and keep it from happening again. Before they backcut the gears they will magnaflux all the gears and check for cracks, then replace any bad gears before the cutting

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I ended up doing...I think it was a $600.00 bill. :808993-banghead: But I'm sure it's bulletproof now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
terrasmak said:

[/ QUOTE ]Its only happening in 6th gear but sometimes I have a hard time getting it in third gear. I have to pull up extra hard to get it in gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts