Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. This might sound silly, but I need some advice on how to clean your motorcycle, especially one with an exposed engine like my RS. I guess asking is the only way to learn. What products do you use? Do you use water? Do you have to tape up things like the ignition key hole, etc? After a couple hundred miles this bike is really nasty! My previous bike was a full fairing (F4i) so I just used plexus to clean everything (and most parts were blacked anyway, like the swingarms..).

Thanks!
Sean

Umm....bye.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
I use S100 on the wheels and the more greasy parts. On the rest of the bike I use car wash soap and warm water. I also keep a coat of polish and then wax and the bike cleans up pretty easy. The only hole I cover up is the exhaust pipe (plastic bag with rubber band). I DON'T use a hose either. Just 2 buckets and 2 sponges. One for soap and one for rinse.

Try Triumph

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Well, there might better ways, but this way never hurt over 21,000 miles. Turtle Wax Car Wash for the overall and Turtle wax wheel cleaner, safe for aluminum wheels. I used this on both a 95' Sprint which was half naked and my ST.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have HD Road King Classic with plenty of engine chrome. I use turtle wax car wash. It has liquid wax in it, so it helps to protect the finish..Make sure you use a leaf blower or compressed air to blow off all the water..It`s much easier to clean my Daytona..I also use an application of the BOM which is a new product for painted and plastics instead of wax..best stuff out there..the more you use it the deeper paint appears..good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
CHECK OUT WWW.BIKECLEANER.COM IF YOU BUY IT AND DON`T LIKE IT I`LL BUY THE BOTTLE OFF YOU..IT TAKES ME 10 MINUTES TO CLEAN AND WAX [ONE APPLICATION] MY DAYTONA ..DIRT WILL NOT STICK TO THE BIKE AS WHEN YOU USE CONVENTIONAL WAXES.IT COSTS MORE BUT IT WORKS ..

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
A hose and a bucket of water is what I use. I use a high-tech solvent in the bucket water called dish soap, and a terry-cloth hand towel as an applicator. These things were made to be ridden in the rain so hosing 'em down sure isn't going to hurt anything.

-KeithU

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Keith,
Where can i find this "high tech" solvent?? I've been washing my dishes with shampoo for weeks, and feel this dish soap thing might be exactly what i need...

·
Registered
17 Posts
by the time you pull out your hose and start to fill your bucket ..look for your wifes dish soap .. hose down the bike ..wash the bike..then dry the bike ..i`m heading into the esses 20 miles away..with a bike that still has wax on it because i didn`t use a harsh detergent .but to each his or her own

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I ride too much to spend any real time cleaning and I don't get anything special to do it with.
Wash with dish detergent
Rinse with the hose
WD40 to remove any lub residue from the rims
Bargain basement wax to take care of any water spots
Hand cleaner for the chain followed by Maxima Chain Wax
Kleen&Shine for the windsceen
and 24 hours later the dirt is back, fresh bugs and I think all the time I spent cleaning would have been better spent riding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i find the time ,i put 10,000 on my bike last year ..and guess what i did that the year before..20,000 on a 2000..it`s kinder has a special ring to it.. i picked up my 2002 daytona on friday and guess what 250 miles put on it sat. i work at ground zero 6-12 hr days-72 hr a week baby i`m no poser because i take care of my bike different from from others.. you cast the first stone

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

i find the time ,i put 10,000 on my bike last year ..and guess what i did that the year before..20,000 on a 2000..it`s kinder has a special ring to it..

<hr></blockquote>

In the last two years I put 33,000 miles on the ZR and another 18,000 miles on the baby Nighthawk, now that has a fun ring to it.

guess what 250 miles put on it sat.

<hr></blockquote>

You got me there I only did 200 miles last Saturday but I got 350 miles in on Sunday.

i`m no poser because i take care of my bike different from from others..

<hr></blockquote>

Taking care of your bike has nothing to do with posing ( not sure where that came from) I simply meant that I would rather spend my time riding than polishing. What you do is your business.
BTW I don't cast stones as long as I have some ammo left./images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
It's true, I have been riding my bike with a dangerously low wax buildup. In fact it's barely rideable. I got pulled over once last year and the cop gave me a verbal warning for insufficient wax. That was a close call, let me tell you.

Sarcasm aside, my point was that I don't understand why everyone is so paranoid about hosing your bikes down. It won't melt you know.

Okay, here's a serious question: How do y'all dry your bikes after washing? I use a terry cloth towel.

-KeithU

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the reason why I brought all of this up is because I like to take care of my things. If I spend $6.7k (which is what I actually did spend, not including tax and registration) on a bike, then I want to make sure that I am going to take proper care of it and that it will last a long time. Now, I'm not just talking mechanically, but also aesthetically. Who doesn't like their ride to look good?

Well, I'm a newbie to motorcycles...I'll be the first to admit that. So, if I am going to ride like crap, I might as well look good doing it :)

Umm....bye.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I usually just use a wet chamey to wipe off the bike then I wax it. But when it's really dirty usually after the dealer works on it I get the bike wet with a hose then soak it with simple green. It works great for cleaning off all the dirt and grease.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do any of you polish the header with anything? Mine has a nice goldish tint to it except from the exhaust port to right where the bottom of the oil cooler is. I suppose that section of pipe is quite a bit hotter. It's turning a little darker shade. Anyway, just curious.

Allen

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It's a pain in the butt to try to polish the header so I got mine ceramic coated for $100.00. It also helps the bike run a little cooler and suppose to make an extra 1-2hp, it also won't change colors and looks real nice. This isn't a very good picture but it's the only one I can find right know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i just got some of that bom stuff that dozer955i recomended and it works very well. it has very specific directions, but it is very fast and easy. the bike looks great. expensive, but you really don't use very much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts