Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days of riding, I noticed the bike was jerky when I went from closed throttle to open throttle. I checked the chain to see it was totally slack. It had about 3" of play in it!

I adjusted the chain without use of the eccentric hub tool from Ducati, and it seems fine. My question is this: is this an indication of a bigger problem? Is it possible my cush drive needs replacement? Does this happen from time to time? The bolts on the back of the swingarm were tight, so I have no idea how the eccentric backed out.

I'm taking the bike to the dealer whenever we have a dry day here (damn, that's another thread....crappy weather) and have them adjust it and set the bolts to the proper torque settings, just to be sure. The bike has less than 2000 miles on it and had the 600 mile service a couple months ago. Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Is it just me, you, and the Gunner on tonight?

Anyway... I doubt that it's your cush drives... they do eventually wear out, but certainly not in 2000 miles. Could your chain have stretched in that amount of mileage? Maybe, depends on the person twisting the wrist. OE chains usually aren't know for being top of the line. I'm not real sure what comes stock on your bike. The other thing ya might wanna check is the rear eccentric's position.. I've heard of guys taking a few links outta thier chain, flipping the eccentric over to essentailly shorten thier wheelbase. Could this be the case?

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The drivetrain is completely stock. It comes with a D.I.D. 525 chain, and I've been careful to keep it clean and lubricated. I really don't thrash it too much, and rarely take it above 8500rpm. Since I bought the bike last October, there's only been a few days of decent riding weather, and I've really only taken it out on one proper ride where I hit the twisties for more than a few miles. Maybe it worked itself loose over the course of the 100 miles of on-throttle, off-throttle, on-throttle, off-throttle.....

We'll see what the service guys at the shop have to say. I just wanted to know if the superbikes had a tendency to do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts