Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, the chain on my '96 EX500 is streched in one spot, creating a gentle tugging while decelerating. I've adjusted the chain so at the tightest spot, it's got the appropriate tension. I was wondering if this could cause any problems? Should I replace the chain? My Dad thinks it'll be ok, if I can live with the tugging (not really noticeable), until the chain actually needs replacing due to wear....

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The problem with a stretched link is that it's very weak..Meaning the chain could snap under hard acceleration, which is bad..(chain flips up, wraps around the axle, locks up the rear wheel...or it snaps and flys forward and breaks the crankcase)

I'd recommend replacing the chain and sprockets...shouldn't be more than $100-120 or so for that bike.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I was told the other day, after brining my bike in to a shop with a VERY loose chain, that the chain could tear through my leather jacket like nothing! Pretty scary if you ask me.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
And a chain that is too tight could destroy the bearings to the output shaft to the tranny! A chain too loose could jump the rear sprocket and...oh lets not go there.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I dropped the chain on my 1100 Katana at 90mph in South Dakota 100 miles from the nearest town ( Sturgis). Got lucky, I only lost a $3 clutch rod and two days riding waiting on a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts