Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I use the wax, it doesn't attract dirt, sling off and I can use it for more than just the chain.

·
Registered
596 Posts
O-ring chains are pre-lubed and the o-ring seals in the oil and keeps water and dirt out of the links ! non o-ring chains are not sealed and allow water/dirt to inter into the links and if not cleaned and lubed will wear out quickly ! if you have a o-ring chain you dont need to use a chain lube (you can if you want to) waxes will work better for o-ring chains wont attract dust or dirt like oils and all they do is seal the surface of the chain to keep it from rusting and conditions the o-rings from drying and helps o-rings seal out dirt, hope this helps?.

YOUTH and TALENT are no match for AGE and TREACHERY !

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use chain lube. I don't like the wax because I used it once, let it sit for a while, and when I came back from my first ride I had wax all over the rear bodywork of my bike. So I choose some sort of quick drying lube.

bitTRL1000
Midwest CCS #918

·
Registered
29 Posts
i use both. i think the main thing is to make sure you CLEAN the chain before putting wax/lube on. i spray lube first then wax over it..why? who the hell knows.. and speaking of wax drip, yes that is true. i uncovered my bike after not even looking at it for 10-12 days and i freaked out when i saw that the fairing part that is right under the shifter was covered with a oil-like substance!!!i was "holy crap!!this is a brand new bike!" but after further "sniffing" the substance (the only time i have ever snuffed, BTW) i deduced that it was chain wax..what a damn relief!!
aloha
i need to seriously get my bike ridden

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ive had great luck with Maxima chain wax and Simple Green works great as a cleaner.

Hawaiian929, ship your bike to Texas, I'll put some miles on that Blade for you.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

i think the main thing is to make sure you CLEAN the chain before putting wax/lube on. i spray lube first then wax over it..why? who the hell knows..

<hr></blockquote>

As far as the wax is concerned your defeating the purpose by cleaning the chain then putting lub on it. The wax needs a clean chain to adhere to. In your case the lube is slinging off and taking the wax with it. Use one or the other but not both.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I spray it down with WD-40, wipe that off(with the dirt) then apply a good coat of Honda chain lube. 16,000 miles on the old VTR and not a sign of wear, still looked new.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

16,000 miles on the old VTR and not a sign of wear, still looked new.

<hr></blockquote>

That's normal, when the chain goes it goes pretty fast until then it's "like new". The first thing you'll notice is a more frequent need for adjustment, then comes the cracking noise on takeoff along with tight spots in the chain. Usually between 20,000 and 22,000 miles, a little longer if you rarely ride in the rain.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from vegas and finally got a chance to check posts. Thanks for the info serpentine. I just exchanged the chain lube for maxima chain wax today. Now im waiting on my new chain and sprockets. What will the chain do/feel like when it has tight spots?? I cant figure out if its riding funny cus of the chain or the carbs and valves. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

What will the chain do/feel like when it has tight spots??

<hr></blockquote>

With the back tire off the ground ( easyer with a center stand /images/icons/wink.gif) turn the tire for one full revolution of the chain. If the chain free play remains constant your good to go, if it tightens up you have a link that isn't straightening after going around the sprocket giving you the tight spot. If this happen be sure to adjust the chain at the tight spot and know that your chain is on it's last leg.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
might be interesting to note that RK Chain and AFAM sprocket companies recommend an oil/lube instead of "Chain wax".

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Yeah manufacturers recommend 80W90 gear lube.
BTW I run an RK chain, it seems to love wax but it's still too early to tell with only 15,000 miles on it.
I have two mountain trips in the next two months I'll know more after that.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Since WD-40 is a lubricant, why can't you just clean/lube the chain with that? /images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
word on the streets is that WD40 won't stay on the chain. it'll fling off. plus i heard it could damage the chain if used as a lubricant.

someone correct me if im wrong!

·
Registered
314 Posts
GixxerJoe - WD40 is not a lubricant, it's more of a solvent. I use it as a cleaner.

eMaldona - instead of simple green try Castrol Super Clean. The absolute best, but be careful. Directions say it's not for aluminum and motorcycles, but dont soak the bike down when it's warm, drink a few beers, have a smoke, then clean it. It'll eat the coating on your bike.

I use it in small doses, and immedialy wipe it off. If it gets on rubber, I armorall it. If it gets on the aluminum rims, out comes the Mothers.

This is a strong base that's environmentally friendly. In the old days, we had access to the best grease cutting solvents in the world. Again, thank the EPA for taking these off the market.

1977 Yamaha RD 400 French Blue
1977 Yamaha RD 400 Chappy Red
1984 Suzuki Gamma

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

Since WD-40 is a lubricant, why can't you just clean/lube the chain with that?

<hr></blockquote>

Chain lubs do more than just lub the chain they also provide damping or "shock barrier" between the chain and the sprockets to slow down the sprocket wear.
WD40 doesn't provide the "cushion" a chain needs as it is primarily a water dispersent with some capillary lubricating qualities. Great against rust and frozen locks but not so good on chains.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts