Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
how about kerosene? it aint aerosol but it works great.

"I do not like <font color=green>green eggs</font color=green> and ham. I will not eat them Sam-I-Am."

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm kind of curious too...I know kerosene is the best, but I would rather have something that I could use every couple weeks to remove chain mung.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Just pick up a Gas can and fill with Kerosene, then you have as long as you need it.

<font color=red>vroom vroom</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Kerosene all the way. I just got my bike back from its valave check up and the mechanic said that my chain is the cleanest and most healthy chain he has seen in a while. Can't argue with that I guess. Iwish I knew about Kerosene on the chain years ago.

If you wrote a book about your life, would anyone want to read it?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ditto the tribute to kerosene. Plus, since it is a light lubricant, you can ride your bike to warm up the chain enough to accept the chain lube.

<font color=green>I'm not trying to hang off, I'm trying to hang ON!</font color=green>/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
314 Posts
Castrol Super Clean and rinse and lube real good afterwards.

1977 Yamaha RD 400 French Blue
1977 Yamaha RD 400 Chappy Red
1984 Suzuki Gamma

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Go to "Bed Bath and Beyond" or any other store that carries a wide variety of cooking crap and buy one of those "pump-spray" bottles!

You're supposed to fill them up with olive oil and spray your pans to fry food... I dont see why Kerosene couldnt be used?

Just make sure you keep the Keroseen bottle in the garage!

M.

·
Registered
976 Posts
theres probably some rubber o-ring or something that will be eaten alive by the kerosene in those spray bottles. thats just a guess though.

(not to be confused with o-ring chains)

"I do not like <font color=green>green eggs</font color=green> and ham. I will not eat them Sam-I-Am."

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
my question exactly cbrf293! My bike just turned 2500 miles and while at the shop last week (nothing major, thank God!) the service guy said my chain looked like it had the original lube on it. I informed him that wasn't the case.

I usually clean with a degreaser via toothbrush, then wipe excess off, then spray lube, then wipe excess off. Lately I've resorted to paint thinner to get the thick goop off the sprocket and it works well on the chain too, but I use it sparingly. I get a small spot of shop rag wet with it, then wipe the chain. No biggie, and it keeps the chain clean. I always lube after a clean, and I do it after every long ride, or couple times a month.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I use the kero then I may follow up with some wd40 ever once in awhile when I clean it. Then wipe if off real good and hit it with the chain lube. The wd seems to knock out some of the trash.

00 yzf
Team Blue
If I die on my bike,the day will only be half bad at least I was riding !!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Just make sure you keep the Keroseen bottle in the garage!

<hr></blockquote>

hahha... you might end up having an unexpected flambee for dinner /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
GOJO????? REALLY?
Those little "gritty" things won't gunk up the chain?

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Now this is what I've read cause I researched it alot before settling on a methode...Many seem to advocate that WD-40 will kill the O-rings (make them swell up and actually dissolve the grease inside which has to stay there), Keroseen seems to be the weapon of choice as for application the "kersoseen on a rag" is probably what I'm gonna try tonight...I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Yours prayers have been answered. How you say?, kerosine in an aerosol can for less than a buck. Where you say?, your local auto parts store. What is it you say?, Gunk engine degreaser or if they have one, the store brand version. Been using it for years with no ill effect on the o-rings. If you have a really manky chain, get the foaming formula so it clings to the chain and soaks in.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts