Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CBR600F4i \"Not for use on CA model\"

Why the major exhaust systems manufacturer says that (not for use on CA model)? any special condideration on CA model? It is going to have any problem with PGM system? sensors?

:help:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Re: CBR600F4i \"Not for use on CA model\"

California has stricter emissions laws which means:

1) The aftermarket exhausts aren't street-legal on California model bikes (in California).

2) California model bikes are equipped and/or tuned differently than the "49 state" bikes that the exhausts were designed for.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
tony72F4i said:
Why the major exhaust systems manufacturer says that (not for use on CA model)?

[/ QUOTE ]

CA bikes (at least the F4i's) have O2 sensors. 49 state bikes (again, at least the F4i's) do not.

The non-CA S-bend pipe doesn't have the bung for the O2 sensor. You can get the little plug thing that replaces the O2 sensor (which the 49 state bikes have from the factory), if you want to go that route.

Or, just get an exhaust for CA bikes. There's plenty out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Whether I route by replacing the O2 sensor with a plug thing instead (installing the slip-on only) wont’ be a problem with the ECM, mixing air/gas, etc, I mean, engine performance?

In others words, Is there any problem eliminating the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Problems? No. You'll probably end up getting a little MORE power, although I don't know how different (if any) the stock mapping is between the CA and 49 state models.

I'm a big fan of leaving things alone. And especially if you're not planning on installing a PC, the O2 sensor isn't a bad idea to make sure things don't get too far out of whack.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
tony72F4i said:
Whether I route by replacing the O2 sensor with a plug thing instead (installing the slip-on only) wont’ be a problem with the ECM, mixing air/gas, etc, I mean, engine performance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the ECM would turn the "EFI" light on when it senses that the O2 sensor isn't working (or there). If it's programmed the same as a car, the bike will default to a full-rich mode of operation. Your fuel economy will be lower at the least with the worst being problems with fouled plugs.

If you have emissions inspections where you live, you may have an issue there as well unless you keep the stock exhaust and change it back for the test.

You can have an O2 sensor bung welded into the new exhaust. You just have to find a place where it will fit.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the ECM would turn the "EFI" light on when it senses that the O2 sensor isn't working (or there).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you install the jumper plug thing. AFAIK, all F4i's have wiring for the O2 sensor...CA models are just the only ones that actually use the sensor.

[ QUOTE ]
You can have an O2 sensor bung welded into the new exhaust. You just have to find a place where it will fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the widespread availability of CA "02 compatible" exhausts, I'd suggest just getting the right one right off the bat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

having the proper s-bent mid tube with access to connect the O2 sensor, think is better to avoid problems with FI red light (ECM) and emmisions inspections. Probably installing a power commander, would be good way to avoid O2 sensor modifing map inyection in favor of. what you think guys?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts