Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound kind of dumb, but I am getting ready to haul my bike in the back of the truck. First time hauling a sportbike and was wondering if anyone had some pointers on the best way to strap it down.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I use soft straps around each side of the triple tree and secure to the front corners with a ratchet strap. I also use a ratchet strap hooked to each of the rear footpegs. Some people swear by "Canyon Dancers" or "Bar Buddy" handlebar strap systems but when I used one it f*cked my grips up and rubbed my paint. Soft straps and ratchet tie downs hooked to the triples are just as secure and alot cheaper.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Also depends on what kind of truck you have. I have an S-10 sportside, so my bed is kinda narrow. The straps were actually too long to just hook on the triple fork, so I had to loop them around the forks a few times. I'd also use 4 straps, like madav8tr said. Some people use two, but they're not paranoid like me.

When you do get it strapped in, you should be able to rock the whole truck by rocking the bike. basically they two should become one. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
And the best way to actually strap it down is to sit on the tank and compress the suspension while you tighten the ratchets, and then the same with the back...sit on the rear seat. Do it two or three times, and then tie a knot in the ratchet so it doesn't slip at all...happened to me once. Not fun.

<font color=red>follow the leader..."he's on a honda, mine!"</font color=red>

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't compress TOO much though...it's bad for the fork seals. Snug should be fine unless your wheelin with the bike in the back of the truck!

"my real name is Buck Naked, I'm a prono actor"

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would buy one of those pit bull wheels chocks and mount it in the bike. I have no idea how that works but I am here for random suggestions /images/icons/smile.gif

I can kill a yak from 200 yards away....With MIND BULLETS!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts