Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a mercury gage to sync the carbs on a 00 R1. The directions specify matching up the hoses to numbered cylinders like 1,2,3 and 4. My question is what cylinder is what number or does it even matter?Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, it does matter. The first cylinder is on the left of the bike. It goes from left to right, if you're sitting on the bike.

I just did my carb sync. recently and you'll be surprise how much your carbs are off by, at least I was. It's easy to do and you'll like the results.

Mo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey momo. Thanks again for you response but I have another question for you. Where do you screw in the mercury hoses? Also it states in the directions that Yamaha needs a 6mm insert instead of 5mm. Is that true? Thanks again!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yeah, that messed me up at first too. Yes it does need 6mm adaptors. They will srew in on the engine block, just below the carbs. They're black allen/torx head screws. Except the one on the 1st cylinder, that one has a hose on it, you can't miss it. You won't need an adaptor for that one, just take the Air Induction hose off and plug in the carb sync tool hose to that nipple. Cylinders 2-4 will need an adpator.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Mo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, momo. I finally got my 6mm adapters for the synchronization. They were backordered forever. Anyway, I have the bike all apart and getting ready to screw in the adapters. My first question is...am I supposed to adjust the phillips screw on each bar for the throttle pull? I just want to make sure before I start screwing stuff up. Secondly did you do your adjustment without the air box? It seems like you will have to in order to reach your adjustment screws. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't done mine yet, but I do have the tool. I did my Ninja. I know on the Ninja that you need to hook to 1&2 and adjust them so they are even, then hook to 3&4 and adjust them, and then hook to 2&3 and balance the two pairs. There were 3 screws total. One for 1&2, one for 3&4 and then one for 1,2,3&4. After you balance 1&2 and 3&4 as pairs you used the center screw to equal out the two pairs. Is this the same on Yamaha or are they all seperate?

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pure_snort, yes it's a phillips. I did all of my adjustments without the airbox on, it's a lot easier that way. Just be careful not to drop anything into the carbs.

When you start doing the adjustments make sure to blip the throttle slightly after each adjustment. You might have to make an adjustment again after blipping the throttle. Just don't blip it too hard. You don't want the mercury to run into the engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got her all dialed in yesterday. My carbs were definitely out of sync. The bike runs so much better now. Thanks for the help Momo and 01yzfR1.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
MOMO, how much you gonna charge me to show me how to sync my carb/images/icons/crazy.gif

U.S. ARMY

·
Registered
662 Posts
Jim, how much you got??? /images/icons/smile.gif

Just kidding man. No charge. Just let me know when you want to work on it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i have the carb kit, i do minor work on the bike and truck. ive taken the top of the air box off, started removing the bottom, but chickened out. lol. i just got the bike serviced last week. its a shame the R1 needs it every 4K. i was thinking of doing it myself every 2K when i change the oil. the carbs are the only reason i take it to the shop for service. so lets say in 2 weeks. ill have 2K more on it then /images/icons/crazy.gif

U.S. ARMY

·
Registered
504 Posts
the kewl thing about buying the mercury carb sync tool: it pays for itself the first time you use it. (that includes buying the 6mm permanent adaptors)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts