Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Carbon Pipes??

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MTB RACER 
#1 ·
Ok.. I have been told by a couple people that putting carbon fiber canisters on a twin is a bad idea. They say that the pulsing of the exhaust will destroy the carbon within a year or so and then i would have to replace them. Is this true?? If so why do so many twin racers run carbon pipes? Please set me straight on this subject, i notice that MyDreamRSV has carbon Renes. on and i have a hard time believing that he would put them on is there was some truth to this tale. I really want carbon cans to match all the rest of carbon bits that i have put on my mille. Thanks for your input.

Mike

Madmille

#2 ·
Hogwash!! Don't listen to 'em. If you're worried about that, buy the Renegades. They'll replace 'em if they go bad!! /images/icons/crazy.gif
My friend's been running twin micron carbons on his VTR for years, and they look good as new. And yes, he does ride the bike hard. Now if you're using it as a track bike, and the engine will be constantly working near redline, then the carbons wouldn't be the best way to go.

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

#3 ·
In the past some carbon can have been damaged and the manufacturers claimed it was because of the engine pulses from a twin. As it was only a few cans being damaged it was most likely due to their construction of the can being substandard. My friend has had carbon slip-ons on his 851 since it was new in 1992 and the sleeves are fine and he has never re-packed them and never plans to. I have a Remus slip-on which is CF and I had no qualms about buying it and if Renegade will warranty any damage from burning etc I would have no problem buying from them either.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

#4 ·
Hogwash...lol, MadFalco said it best. Jorge does recommend repacking your exhaust every 5,000 miles. It costs about $20 per exhaust to do so. I had carbon fiber on my Duc and on my RSV...no problems and no worries.

Taken from Renegade site:
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

RENEGADE RACE CANS are not held together with nasty rivets, they have their own registered design assembly system which makes them easily detachable should repacking be necessary.........Because of this modular construction method RENEGADE RACE CANS are able to offer individual spares in the event of a mishap. We also offer an end of season overhaul and re-packing service at a nominal charge.

<hr></blockquote>

#5 ·
Why do the racers use them?? They're light and their sponsors supply them (just Kiddin'- that was too obvoius). I have seen the CF cannisters get so hot that they have caught on fire!!!! I'm not certain as to the circumstances other than overheating and catching the packing material on fire but I do remeber seeing a post of a picture of a Mille on the Aprilia Form that did spontaneously combust its CF canisters - it wasn't pretty as the fire also took out the tail section too!!! I remember hearing a Susuki spokes person at Laguna 2001 tell people that the differances between Ti vs CF is purely asthetic. I agree, if your going for weight reduction, try eating better and regular excercise. It amuses me when I see these guys that are so fat (it take 'em 2 trips to haul ass!!) get on a bike that is tricked to the gills with CF. It does look good though I have to admit and if I could get it past my wife (she balances the check book) I would. There's my 2 cents worth.

The Electric Banana Man
01 RSV Mille R #107 and Very Yellow (again!!)

#6 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

It amuses me when I see these guys that are so fat (it take 'em 2 trips to haul ass!!) get on a bike that is tricked to the gills with CF.

<hr></blockquote>

Okay, now maybe I am reading into something...but he said gills and my last name is Fish and I have many Carbon Fiber pieces./images/icons/laugh.gif
. /images/icons/laugh.gif . /images/icons/wink.gif

Jim

#9 ·
Well I would have to start naming the manufacturers whose carbon cans fell apart and Two Bros would be at the top of that list /images/icons/wink.gif. Yoshimura is another one. You are are lucky it just vibrated the rivets loose, I have heard of others where the carbon sleeve burned and the carbon itself started disintegrating. The main culprit in those cases was said to be the type of resin used in the manufactue of the CF

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

#10 ·
Two Brothers will not a make carbon can for the RSV. Maybe they realize their carbon is bogus. Many manufacturers have a metal sleeve under the carbon to protect it.

Jay
Hello, Come in Earth, Over./images/icons/wink.gif

#11 ·
I have CF on my TL1000s and they seem to be doing well. I am not sure if its something that all CF cans experiance or not but the glossyness is not there. I see CF cans in stores and on new bikes and they are nice and shiny, like they are wet. Mine are dull like flat black paint with a CF pattern or something.

Many people with TLRs and TLSs have them and I have heard of maybe 1 with problems.

#12 ·
If the rivets are the main problem (failing under stress of high vibration), then buy cans without rivets (RENEGADE!!)
I am not trying to be a sales person, but the modular design of the exhaust cans eliminates the self destruction and no solution problem. Just rebuild them!!!!! Don't buy a disposable razor and be pissed that you can't sharpen it......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.