Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the carbon hugger for my 996, and I have an install question. It's a direct swap with the stock chaingaurd, but there's an extra hole on the hugger without the corresponding hole in the swingarm. I would need to drill a hole in the swingarm directly in front of the front edge of the tire. Has anyone done this? Maybe drill a small hole and insert a threaded aluminum sleeve? Tap and thread the hole itself? Use some kind of industrial glue? Just don't worry about it?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've heard of people doing all 3 ways of mounting the hugger the way you mentioned. A lot of people don't like the idea of drilling a hole into thier swingarm. On the 916SP we used a little dab of shoe goo./images/icons/laugh.gif Many miles later it's still hangin' on.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif/images/icons/mad.gif

I tried to install the hugger tonight, and I'm not pleased at all. I bought the Ducati Performance hugger from the dealer, and I guess I mistakenly thought that if it's produced by/for Ducati, it would work.

Two things are wrong with it. The first is fairly minor, but irritating. The triangular metal backing plate that attaches behind the chaingaurd at the rear of the swingarm doesn't fit properly. The carbon is shaped a little bit different from the OEM part. OK, I can file down the carbon and it'll work. The second just pisses me off! The carbon piece didn't come with any bolts, so I figured the ones on the bike would work. WRONG!!! The two bolts that attach the brake line cover to the chaingaurd are different between the OEM piece and the carbon hugger. WTF????

I spent $225 for a "Ducati Performance" item from a Ducati dealer for my Ducati bike. The "Ducati Performance" item was designed specifically for my Ducati by Ducati. So why in the hell doesn't it work????????

Can you tell I'm pissed? I'll call the shop tomorrow and explain my situation. I want either a new hugger that fits and has the proper hardware thats SUPPOSED to go with it....or I want some new friggen bolts.

UGH

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I want either a new hugger that fits and has the proper hardware thats SUPPOSED to go with it....or I want some new friggen bolts.

<hr></blockquote>

The bolts are replaced by the masking tape supplied with the hugger. /images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sorry man but I had to laugh out loud at your posts. /images/icons/smile.gif I say this because I went through the same thing when I ordered mine for the 748 and I can sympathize with your troubles. I however got mine from James being that the pieces are identical and his was less $$$. /images/icons/wink.gif

First off, regarding the little hole at the leading edge of the hugger...I didn't do a thing with it and mine is holding up fine. Perfectly aligned and doesn't move a bit(anymore than it should being thin CF). Second, the triangular metal bracket should fit with a little fanagling and shouldn't require you to file the hugger down any; at least mine didn't and yes it was awkward at first to line things up. Or don't even use it; my friend has a 2000 996S and he doesn't have the bracket fitted. Third, the brake line cover...I was kinda irked that the stock hardware wouldn't work as well. I went back to the shop and they threw two allen bolts my way that worked great and look sharp.

You may be pissed but damn that hugger looks good don't it? /images/icons/laugh.gif How'd you do getting the hugger into position? I ended up taking off the left heel guard and pushing the hugger backwards and around the brake line then rotating it and letting it fall into place. Let's see some pics when you get them. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I'm not drilling holes anywhere on my bike... how about going to the auto store and getting some 3M double sided adhesive tape?

This is the same tape that is used to secure body side moldings to cars/trucks... that stuff does not come off!

M.

·
Registered
783 Posts
i also have the dp hugger and needed to drill the hole in my swingarm. i wasnt to worried about it. its only a bike right? you really need to drill the extra hole so the thing doesnt wobble all over the back tire.

Eric
"some people have to piss on an electric fence to find out for themselves"

·
Registered
783 Posts
oh yea... the swingarm is aluminum so drill it a size uner your tap and you can thread it. i used an 8-82 and it works fine. just put some thread lock on the screw because mine worked its self loose.

Eric
"some people have to piss on an electric fence to find out for themselves"

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I went to the shop today and they gave me two allen bolts, and I swapped the hugger with one that fit with the metal triangle. No worries about the dealer service.

As for the cost, it was marginally more expensive than Motowheels (or pretty much any other supplier), but at $225 I didn't pay *too* much. I like supporting the dealer because they have really gone out of their way for me in the past.

On a (somewhat) different note, I would have bought from Motowheels if the dealer didn't have any in stock. I bought the billet reverse shifter from Motowheels and have nothing but good things to say, and their prices are great. I have several businesses that I have to frequent, and it can be tough sometimes to pick who gets my money. I've been fortunate that I've had such good relationships with companies, and it helps to make friends with them as well as having a business relationship.

I'll post some pics soon. And DUC748, I managed to get the hugger on by sliding the fender part under the brake line, then twisting it around and positioning it how it's supposed to go. It really wasn't a hassle.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a couple pics of the hugger. Took about 5 minutes to install, and I found a distinct advantage of using the metal triangle piece! Without it, the hugger wasn't centered over the wheel, but I could bend the metal slightly to fine tune the position of the hugger. Now it sits perfectly over the wheel, and looks shnazzy!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I guess when I tried to install my hugger the first time I look at the two like a square peg and a round hole. HUH? /images/icons/laugh.gif

You know, now that you mention the metal affecting the positioning of the hugger over the rear tire...I look back and my friends hugger is not centered on his tire at all but hangs alot more to the left than it should. Interesting, thanks for bringing that up! Glad you got everything taken care off. The hugger is a nice finish on the bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts