Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm these nut sizes for me?
748/99*
Drive side rear nut: 41mm
Rear wheel nut: 46mm

I measured mine for DUC748 using a caliper and wanted to make sure I was correct.

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
And I did search the forums before asking Ben by the way. I could have sworn someone called out the wheel nut size before but I couldn't find it...Haynes doesn't list it in the manual. :crazy:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should write this down in my Haynes manual. Seems like it comes up about once a year.
Usually when I'm standing in front of a rack of sockets at a store. "Now, what the heck was the size of that socket I needed?" :lol:

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
If you never gonna sell the duc you can even tattoo it on you body somewhere... you pick a place... :lol:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my SV I use a perminent marker and write right on the part.
I also write down the most common wrench sizes and torque figures on the inside cover of my Haynes manual. Sure is faster than trying to find it in the book every time.

On my Honda, I write the info on the stickers that are stuck to the inside of the hood. Today I changed the oil in the Honda and all I had to do was reference the sticker for the oil pan bolt size and torque setting/ how much oil it requires. I also have the gap settings/torque for the plugs

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Reviving this thread. :grin:

I need to purchase the 46mm socket to remove the rear wheel for a tire change. Everything I have now is Craftsman so naturally I checked Sears first and they don't list a 46mm socket. Sooooooooo...what is the best source to acquire this particular socket? Thanks in advance. :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Alright Ben...I just ran across this thread which states the rear nut at 45mm (or 1 13/16s). But then Erik joins in and says he bought a 41 and 46mm socket so nows it's 2 to 1 on socket sizes.

Which is it people...45mm or 46mm? :help: :grin:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The link I provided in one of those threads to CB Performance still works, and it's hard to argue with $12/each. I also got impact sockets for less from a local tool company, but they don't do mail order.

PS: it's 46mm

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Thanks Erik...you were actually number two in the list of 46ers. :grin:

Have you seen a 6 point 46mm socket? 6 point is better than 12 point right? Less chance of round off the nut or something? You can't argue with $12 though. :smile:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
yup, it's a 46... 41 for the sprocket side... 36 for 999/749's... 28 for all the fronts... 30 for monsters/supersports. the 6 pointers ya gotta get from Mac (or maybe it's Matco?). my local Snap-on rep says snappy doesn't even have 'em in anything but impact. and they wanted all the money for it... something like 40-60 bucks each. :rolling:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
yup, lest we forget the multi... :grin: hey, i just found out something about the multi on friday that i didn't know. we've got 3 of 'em where i'm at and have never sold a one :rolling:... it has an electrically adjustable headlight position kinda like the windshields and what not on sport-tourers...! :laugh: a guy came in and traded his sweet '03 999 white-tail mono with less than 1500 miles on it for a ohlins'd-out multistrada-S (just like duc749). :shocked: turns out he's ridden and raced MX for 30 years so he just found the riding position more to his liking. just goes to show "there's an ass for every seat". :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts