Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does this do? I have a 91 CBR 600 and its been brought to my attention that the cam chain tenshioner has been known to go out on that bike. I have a sound that i cant determine what it is and i think that may be the problem but i need to know what it does and what it starts to do when it goes bad including what it will sound like.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It should sound like a intermentant rattling chain that will go away when you give it some throttle. I had to replace the one on my 96 f3. It is supposed to keep constant tension on the cam chain through out the rpms. On my bike it was a easy replacement. Let me know if you need any more info.

Surfing my way to the edge of the Internet

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
when it goes completely out your camchain can skip a few teeth and thus destroy your valves and pistons

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ape performance makes a manual cam chain tensioner for about $50. They are relatively easy to install but you must make sure that tension is never fully let off of the chain. If your chain skips a tooth or two, kiss your valves good-bye. 98 gixxers are notorious for bad cam chain tensioners. I replaced mine with Ape's and it purrs like a kitten now.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this rattling sound like a spring jiggling around in a tin can? I think i'll have the mechanic look at it and replace it at the same time im having the chain and sprockets done.. Thanks for the help!

·
eratbiker
3,826 Posts
nem yes it would sound like that or even worse like marbels in a tin can

<font color=purple>RILLA'S</font color=purple> RULE <font color=red>hi officer how did you see me trough that smoke</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hell_devil. I think i'll have it replaced for safetys sake. Marbles is pretty close too. Kind of a few marbles rolling in a can.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A good mech won't replace it my friend they may say they did . ask for the old one if they do replace it. most guys just take them out and clean them and reinstall them. It is just old oil that build ups on the shaft of the tensioner and then it won't self adjust. My 94 cbr900rrr still has the orginal in it and I just clean it once a year ( at the first of the riding season and never have had a problem) 90 000kms later too

ErionCBR

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found my service/maintenace book the previous owner gave me and i was looking through it for all the problems im having. Regarding the noise the cam tensioner makes.. how in hell does that thing make that noise?? Im trying to understand the mechanics/physics of it. And how does the tensioner work? Thanks guys..

·
Registered
117 Posts
the cam tensioner keeps pushing out against the cam chain. It's spring wound. If there was build up inside, it could get stuck, then letting your cam chain get loose. Then the chain would wiggle and hit thing making the noise, like the side of the case or the chain guides...

Fil
98 Honda VTR1000
SuperHawk

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Yes, it's the chain you are hearing.

An important thing about getting the manual adjuster is that it pretty much never wears out. It will be the last adjuster you have to buy. And the cost is about the same as stock.

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts