Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bike in Maryland from a guy who bought his bike in California. I know it has a catalytic converter, etc. to comply with CA emmisions. It's a '00 ZX-9R with a V&H slip on. What's the easiest way to remove those things so I can lose that weight and get rid of the cat? I put in a search and couldn't find any previous posts on this. Thanks

Sometimes you're the hydrant, sometimes you're the dog.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you can't find someone who has first-hand experience with the ZX-9, you might wanna go look at bikebandit.com at the parts fiche and you can see the differences between the CA and non-CA models ...chances are that carbs and cams are different, maybe even the ignition computer too. Also, except for 2-strokes and certain BMW's, bikes don't use catalytic converters.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, per my owners manual, this little 4-stroke has a catalytic converter due to CA emmissions standards. Adds several pounds and takes some of the power. Thanks for the info about the bikebandit.com though. Not too many CA models make it to DC, so most mechanics I run in to, have no clue what is required.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If Kawi says so, it's probably true... but from looking at the bikebandit site, I can't see where they would have put a cat unless it's part of the can itself... which you don't have anymore because of the V&H slip-on. One other thing that ocurred to me is that CA vehicles sometimes have some sorta weird charcoal-cannister thing connected to the vent on the fuel tank... that's sure to be something that can hit the dumpster.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out bikebandit.com and you might be right about the cat being in the can. There is a different OEM can replacement for CA and all other states. The SOB is almost $800 dollars too. Why would you buy OEM when you could upgrade for way less than that? It also looks like a seperate gas tank for CA too. I guess I need to get a Chilton's manual or something and get to work, lol. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts