Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a revelation lately on the type of motorcycle I’m driving. I currently own a 900RR, but recently came to realize that my real passion for motorcycles is acceleration, in particular drag racing. I love drag racing at the track. I really like my 900RR, but it’s a road racing bike, not the best drag racer. My nick name is Corners because I really don’t like to push myself in the corners. Not that I can’t, because I have, I just have this whole thing about falling off going around a corner vs. falling off going straight (if you can do that). Either situation is going to hurt, but you are much more likely to come into contact with an immovable object (curb, guardrail, tree, etc…) sliding off the side of the road going a little to fast, or hitting some sand.

Anyways, I’ve been thinking about trading up for a Hayabusa. I think the bike is great. My question is, I’m looking for a 1999 to 2001 busa, what kinda problems should I look for when buying a used one? I’ve heard something about the sub-frame cracking and a problem with the cam chain tensioner. Is there any particular problem areas I should be looking at, besides the regular stuff to look at on a used motorcycle?

And for personal opinions. How does the long ride comfort of the Hayabusa compare to the ZX-12?

Everybody's trying to kill me!!!!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I remember some guy saying his Busa caught on fire. I can't exactly remember what happened or where I read this from. But it's not a common problem and it only occurs in certain cold climate situations.

Other than that, I know not of any other problems.

I found that I hated sitting on the ZX-12, but that's my personal opinion. Yeah, I'm small at 5'6" and less than 110 lbs.

Best bet is to sit on them both and, if you can, take 'em out for a test ride.

I know someone made a post in the Kawasaki forum comparing both bikes ever since he traded his Busa for a 12.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Catching fire? That can't be good. I wonder what's up?

I've sat on them both, but I don't have the opportunity to take them out on long-ish test drives.

I'll check for the other thread.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ensure that the cam chain tensioner has been replaced from the original one if it is a '99-'01.<manufacture safety recall> The bike is the best I have ever owned. Check out the profile.

Ken

·
Registered
770 Posts
I want a Hayabusa. I won't sell my Duc, but I'm getting close to paying it off. The Busa is the only bike I've ridden that still had me giggling and shifting back and forth on my feet for two weeks. I'm hoping to do some serious shopping in about 3-4 months.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Aluminium subframes can crack and there is an alternative steel one that Suzuki have fitted under warranty when this happens.

If you're big then the ZX12 will probably be more comfortable (the busa's seat is low so peg to seat is a bit more cramped), but if you're smaller the ZX12 will seem very tall. I've recently got a 12 (I'm 6'4" and 240lbs) and I rode for 4 hours yesterday without any complaints. When I tested a busa, my legs needed stretching after and hour but both bikes seem similar in the arm/wrist comfort department.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Doc is right about the subframes. They used the aluminum subframe in '99-'00 but switched to steel in '01. I belive that Suzuki will fix any aluminum frames that have cracked - no charge. Please don't quote me on that.

Also, the good Doc is right about the peg position. Fortunately, being altitudely-challenged (5'9") the Busa is VERY comfortable for me. But I think if you are over 6 ft. you might run into trouble. How 'bout tall Busa riders, how does it work for you???

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I am 6'1" and 200 lbs and my busa is quite comfortable. I have had it for over two years now. As for as the cracked frame, never happened to me or anyone I know. However the cam chain tensioner did fail at 15,550 miles after a long ride to and from palomar in feb.<I live in Oxnard> There were so many early warnings however. Not to mention it is totally covered by suzuki's recall. By far it is the best bike that I have owned thus far. Don't listen to the rumors of it not handling well in the canyons. FALSE FALSE FALSE! If you decide to get it PM me your number and I will tell you several easy methods to increase your already sufficient HP potential. can you say 85mph in first gear bone stock?

Ok I will stop i think I am gonna go and ride now.

The busa man can
Ken

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Canyon carving IS possible in a Busa!

And I don't like 12's because I'm too short for them, like the guys above said.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I'll back Ken on what he says. That thing flies and he ain't no Slo-Poke in the Canyons!!!!
However - I am looking for a personal injury attorney as Gean_yus caused me some severe damage with his hurtful words in the Pacific forum!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
No atorny needid me tik we cin seddle out uf cort,

how dus 5 dollers an fifte sents for pane an sufring sound.

I dont think dere are crimnal charges are dere?

ken

·
Registered
221 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is the gearboxes. The busa's box is much smoother than the ZX12s. I'm used to Suzukis so I find the 12s box clunky.

If you have to get a busa though, why not get a proper one, 225bhp normally aspirated, gixer bodywork:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I'm 5'10" with short legs (29" inseam), so the busa should fit me just fine.

Now, gotta sell that 900RR. Want one anyone? /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
168 Posts
Corners,

I have ridden the ZX-12 and the Busa, and prefer the Suzuki. I can't give advise on the the ergos because i bought an '01 GSXR 1000.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts