Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been noticing that James Stewart is not taking the 250 class by storm like a lot of people predicted. I kind of had a feeling that he was going to have a little more trouble than people thought.

One thing I know from years of riding dirtbikes is success on a smaller bike doesn't always mean success when you step up. I only raced 125 in little local yokel amatuer racing but thought I was pretty decent. Then I got a 250 and thought I would adjust to it real easy. Man was I wrong!

Thats when I noticed that James Stewart's riding style is not really suited for 250 racing. When you ride 125 you can hang it out over the line and muscle yourself back into control, but on a 250 nine times out of ten it's going to bite you in the asse.

Thats why I love watching him race he has a win it or bin it attitude. Carmichael had a similar riding style but adapted a little better when he transitioned to the 250 class. Ricky still gets out of control once in awhile.

I just bring it up because James Stewart missed Washougal because of a concussion he got
at Undallia. I remember another rider that people thought was going to de-throne Carmichael but started getting a lot of concussions. I think his name was Travis Pastrana.

What I am wondering is why success in 125 dirtbike racing hardley ever transfers to success in 250 when for the most part the top 125 and 250 GP riders usually move up and at least do decent in MotoGP?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I would definately say its inexperience but I think some of it comes from the pressure of hype. When I first rode a 250 it didn't seem like that big of a deal cause I was putting around on it. Then I took it out and tried to ride it like my 125 and almost ate shiat like five times in half a lap. It just makes the easiest track seem ten times harder when your on a 250. I can honestly say that 125 me would smoke check 250 me head to head in a race. Its weird when I went from a cbr600 to a 929 I could definately feel the diffrence but it wasn't as big as the diffrence between riding a 125 and a 250

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Lets put it this way Stewart has been riding almost as long as he has been walking... Part of the reason he is crashing is his equipement. he has to push alot harder on a 250 to keep up with the 450's . I say 450's and I meen one 450 (charmichels). when he is healthy he is the only guy out there that can hang with Ricky for any time... If you guys remember when Ricky turned pro he crashed a LOT (125's and 250's) . Give him time (and a 450) he will be up there every race...He did win some supercrosses this year.. Bubba missed Lakewood with his concussion.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And then he crashed in practice and missed another race. Look I think the guy has talent but It is a whole diffrent ballgame racing in 250. Its alot harder to ride a 250 all out than a 125 it is a lot less forgiving. Most people don't make the transition very well and I think he is one of those people that isn't going to make it.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Wow, I just watched Bubba on a 450 for the world sx GP in Toronto. He crashed out of the lead and then chased RC down from a 4+ sec deficit and then took the lead and then opened it up. Yep, looks like Bubba can't figure out these bigger bikes. :lol: :lol:

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
now on "pins and needles" for anahiem 1... :grin:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
That boy is on a roll. I'm sure RC will get some good races in, but it will definately be a good championship fight this year.

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
This is going to be a very good year, I just might have to do a little traveling this year... While I'm not forecasting anything yet, this could be the year that Ricky finds out how Jeremy felt....

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not forecasting anything yet

[/ QUOTE ]
i think you might as well just go ahead and forecast... take a risk bro... not saying what they are, but the results from A1 are in...!!! :grin: reminder, this round will not be aired on speed, but on prime-time network TV today 12:30pm EST. tivo is set for "stun".

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Ok, I haven't seen the race yet, but heard a play by play from one of my sponsors who was there. I guess I have to kind of eat my words a little bit in regards to my comments on the Trifecta that Shamar was talking about. :blush:

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
shamar1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not forecasting anything yet

[/ QUOTE ]
i think you might as well just go ahead and forecast... take a risk bro... not saying what they are, but the results from A1 are in...!!! :grin: reminder, this round will not be aired on speed, but on prime-time network TV today 12:30pm EST. tivo is set for "stun".

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still not ready yet, I did see the race and it was a great battle until the crash in the whoops. I'll definitly be watching Sunday...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to jump in late on this thread, I have seen the results of the world SX and the AMA SX. How can someone be inexperienced if this is all they have done their entire lives. His bike now has more power. But believe it or not, Bubba isn't new to a 250/450. He is new to the class, but he grew up racing against Carmichael and Pastrana. His riding style is unique in the fact that he takes more risks and is willing to go great speeds and jump crazy combinations to win. Just what SX needs. I am unfortunately goin to miss seeing him race unless someone hooks me up with tickets to a race after mid march. This is my 3rd year I am missing SX due to Iraq deployments. Ohh and what a year to miss!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
aw man, we are witnessing one of the best SX seasons ever...!!! /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ricky took a monster digger in his heat race :crazy: and stewart fails to capitalize.

[ QUOTE ]
Reed now leads the series standings after seven rounds with 149 points, while Carmichael and Stewart hold down second and third with 140 and 132, respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]
:shocked:

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
I agree, this season is being the most competitive since before the McGrath era :shocked: I am making my plans for Vegas now

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
hold up the world just turned again... :shocked: it now seems "carmie" is going to get his points back after the whole fuel debacle...!!! that thud you just heard was reed sh!tting a brick... :lol:

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=8907

guy might have the points lead (not a terrible firing position), but he knows he can't go "head to head" with RC. he can barely withstand stewart assaults. still a WHOPPING eight rounds to go before the outdoors...!!! :shocked: chad's only recourses now are "4-leaf clovers"... "crossed fingers"... and "rabbit's feet". :808993-banghead: :help:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
That is Bullsh!!!!, both reed and stewart had to keep their point deductions over the last two seasons !!!! who's knob is charmicheal greasing. And for the record he will never be half the supercross champion as MC at least not from a personality stand point! :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts