Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you already know, I just took delivery of my new 2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R and it has just about 2000 miles on it. It's in mint condition from the outside to the inside, but I DID Have a question about the break in limits on the RPM's and engine. The bike was sold back to the dealership after 2000 miles were put on it (I guess he traded the bike for 2 quads or something) and I was wondering if there is any way to tell if the 6R was broken in correctly prior to hitting the 2000 mile mark. Also, how much does it reallyt matter, and if there is anything I should know about it. The bike was ridden by everyone at the dealership becuase it's a beautiful piece of machinery, and they all told me it drives great, and I have driven it and it feels great as well. So, I guess what can I do, hope for the best?

Thanks - This is a great forum...keep up the good postings

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Buying a used bike like that is always a gamble.

There's really no way to tell unless you get metal in the oil or do a leak down test to see how the rings have seated. Those bikes can take allot of abuse early on and not show any symptoms until after you rack up the miles.

I once bought a 1100 Suzuki that was 6 months old with 3K miles on it, it was like new.
Turns out that mileage was put on a 1/4 mile at a time and it really showed it's age when I got around the 10K mile mark.
Because of that I never buy used anymore, I always loose when I gamble.
In your case the bike may be mint, do you call or fold???

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can say that if all the guys at the shop where you bought the bike from have ridden it and like it, that most likely they have been out thrashing it. I have know several people that were salesmen at shops that took bikes out at night or for the weekend, and all they did was dog the crap out of them.

Now does a weekend dogging mean you got a bad bike? No, but like previously said, you never know, it's pure gambling. Do you feel lucky today?

Also, I never, ever buy used bikes unless I know the previous owner personally. By that I mean you should know how this person treats his car, tools, house, wife, etc... If he neglects simple things like tire pressure, chain oil, washing the car, etc... I would bet the bike is a high-risk gamble due to lack of maintenance, as well as a poor break-in.

Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd be much less pessimistic than the previous two replies.

A 6R is a bike for the twisties, not the drag strip so I doubt it's been quarter miled once, let alone several times. It's a high revving engine so what's the worst that can happen if it's slightly over revved during break-in. There are schools of thought, from very respected tuners, that you need to rev a bike hard to get the best break-in anyway as it seats the rings better in the bores.

It is a gamble buying a second hand bike, but with today's manufacturing tolerances, the general bombproof Kawasaki motor and modern lubrication stability I reckon it'll be fine. And it saves you having to break it in.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, the way I figure it, this was an AMAZING deal that I got through the dealership that I have a great relationship with. And it being my first bike and all I figured it was worth buying used as opposed to a brand new ZX6R at almost 8,000 and running the risk of doing something stupid, OR having to break it in. So I figured it would be a long time before I got the courage up to redline in any gear or push this bike to do even half of what it is capable of doing. Like I said, I am sure the person who had this bike before I did broke it in correctly and even if he did break it in hard, I am sure the engine can take the abuse. I suppose overrevving a few times won't hurt much, if anything...and I am pretty positive no one would take their brand new bike with 0 on the odometer and redline it. Probably a good way to kill yourself! I am learning on this bike and for what I am using it for now are not the drag strips, but when I get there, I'll be sure to let you know. These guys at the dealership did all take it out, I suppose they all wanted a piece of it at one point, and if THEY didn't notice any real issues, then I am sure I won't at this point either. Should I still take it easy with the bike even though it is just over 2000 miles? or does it really not matter anymore?

Thanks a lot
Take care

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hindsight is 20/20 but can the dealership do a pressure test? If it was a great deal, what's another $200? Are there any tests the shop recommends you do? If it's a trustworthy shop they won't recommend unnecessary work. Before the shop sold it to you did they pull the fairings and do any checks or just "ride it around?" Did you run through a checklist for buying a used bike? Does the shop know if the bike had it's 600 miles service? What color is the oil? That could be an obvious sign of mistreatment.

Since you don't know, I would assume it was broken in properly and continue to break it in properly at the 2000 mile mark. I'm guessing you're supposed to keep it under some rev limit until the 3000 mile service.

Do you have any recourse if there is something terribly wrong with the bike. I know one local dealership said you had 7 days to ride it and if something was really wrong (like a blown engine really wrong) you could return the bike for a credit. Another local shop sells warranties on used bikes. These don't protect against a bike being down on power because it wasn't broken in right but may protect against $$ for fixing a bike that had been thrashed.

I was fortunate when I bought my bike. The private seller did extra work on the bike AFTER we agreed on the price at his expense. When I found a dirty fuel line, I told him about it. He gave me a list of parts to buy and then pulled the carbs (with me there to watch so I could learn), cleaned them, checked a few other parts, and spent 2 - 3 hours AFTER selling me the bike fixing up problems I noticed only after several hundred miles. All in spite of selling me the bike very explicitly AS IS.

Hopefully your shop will be fair if you do find something now.

BTW, I would love to get your bike. What was the $$ of the AMAZING deal?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Serp is on the money with this one... it is a gamble and I agree with what he said.

As I just bought a used bike too (a little older) I know I am taking a gamble (fingers crossed)

You could take it to a dealer that you trust and have them perform a compression test to each of the 4 cylinders as a measure of piston ring performance. If the bike was broke in really hard, there may be cylinder scoring/valve stem scoring and less compression resulting in lower power output.

I will have that done to my bike just to see where its at engine wise. Kawasaki has a range of so many psi to so many psi each cylinder must maintain to meet the "ok"

Other than that only a complete dissasembly of the engine and a precsion micrometer measurements and/or inspection all key parts can tell you how the engine was broke in.

Good luck, hope a squid did'nt beat the hell out of it or try and see how fast it would go.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the dealership with no hopes of seeing anything that I was going to buy...the intent was to START looking and find something later on when I was ready to buy. However, he took me out back to where they keep the bikes that have been traded and was showing me an older 6R from 95 and one from 98 which I was not too thrilled about. At that time I spotted the mean grean machine popping out from being a few bikes and asked him if I could see it. He told me he had no idea it was there and when he went to inquire about it they said they had gotten it yesterday (in a trade in for 2 quads as I aforementioned). I asked him what it was going for and the quote he gave me was WAY less than the blue book value. He was offering me the bike AS IS (totally stock as it was except for a fender eliminator kit which was already put on it as well as the upgraded back blinkers off the back cowling to show off the nasty back tire.) for $5,900 plus $200.00 dollars off a helmet and 20 percent of all accessories. He also included the inspection for free as well as the the first couple of service inspections as well. I ended up throwing on a dark smoked windscreen that looks awesome. I ended up getting prep and delivery for free. So ALL that included probably saved me a good 600-800 dollars. I thought it was a great deal, maybe some of you would think otherwise.

I will have to take some pictures and post them up.

Take care

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bloody profits of doom.

In Rob Muzzy's words on running in a bike: "cruising around mile after mile on 10% throttle won't do the Job. It takes a real load."

Now I don't personally recommend you run in a bike by full loading it several times on a dyno from new. However, tinkling around on part throttle whilst completely safe for the engine (which is the manufacturers priority since warranty claims eliminate profit margin), does not necessarily return the best engine, the bores may glaze before a good seat is achieved. And I can't see how a compression test would provide any indication of scored valve stems since the valves are shut during a compression stroke.

The crux is this.

1. You've got a bike you love for a price you're plesed with.
2. You've no control over how it was run in so stop worrying about it.
3. Even if it was run in a bit hard, it won't have done any harm to the engine.

Enjoy it, sports bike are built using very high process capabilities and the engines are very repeatable. They're designed to be revved. Stripping the bike to measure every part will cost more than you saved.

How long do you break in an aero engine or a marine diesel....."Here's you're new 767, please stay below 40,000lb of thrust for the first 400 hours"...

·
Registered
734 Posts
However it was broken in is a done deal. You can't change it. So my .02 is ride it, enjoy it and don't worry about it.

Go Big or Go Home. <font color=red>Or just make sure you make it home?</font color=red>

·
Registered
756 Posts
You pay your money and take your chances. Just get the extended warranty, and you should be OK. I hate paying new prices, but I hate wondering about crap like that too. Good luck, and enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts