Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a number of reasons I've traded the used '00 blue ST I purchased last October for a new '00 red ST my local Triumph dealer still had. I now get the opportunity to break in the new engine and I'm not sure I'm going to follow Triumph's recommendations. MotoMan @ mototuneusa.com makes a number of good points about running the engine in harder than the factory recommends. Any advice, opinions or experiences?
Cheers, Scott
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Only hard or only soft is bad. i use the "cut & polish" method and it seems to work well for good ring seating and longevity.
I take it easy for the first 5 miles of the ride to get up to full operating temperature then on take-offs I use a hand full of throttle ( not full throttle but about 80% ) making quick shifts at the recomended RPMs for that beak-in period ( the cut portion ) and once at the cruising speed I take easy and cruise under light throttle ( the polish part ).
I end up with an engine with excellent power output for it's design and oil consumption of about 1 pint per 1000 miles after the 50,000 mile mark.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts